Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Terminal Stopped Working After Adding Harddrive
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
umbabaru
I just added a hard drive to my system (it's an old one, with 2 windows partitions and 2 ext3 partitions). That's working fine; strange thing is, now for non-root users, the terms don't work. Terminal fires up but just sits there with a blinking cursor -- no prompt. BUT for root, everything works fine.

Any ideas?

I'm running RH9 (2.4.20).

More detail: I had an old dual boot system, and I took it's harddrive and put it in a different system as the slave drive. Set up fstab appropriately. If I disconnect the drive, everything works okay (except the expected error messages on boot related to the missing drive). But if I connect the drive and log in as someone besides root, I can't get a terminal open, but things like file manager etc work fine.
Joey
Check your log files in /var/log to see if there are any error messages reported behind the scenes. It sounds like maybe /home/ is no longer accessible or something so the regular users cannot log in or something like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.