Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wrong Locale
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
drew78
Hi!

system: redhat 9

I'm pretty new to linux and have encounterd a problem.... When I use GAIM (instant messanger stuff) all my swedish chars (such as едц) becomes very strange to them.

After a bit of investigation i found that I might have the wrong locale installed.
locale prints:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I assume that this is the problem, but how do I change to swedish locale?
I have tried localedef, but can't make any sense of the help page. I'm sorta affraid to try something that might crash the system.

Pls help!

regards,
Drew78
Chewi
I changed that just now to try and fix a problem. It didn't fix my problem but it did manage to change those environment variables system-wide. I'm not sure what locale you should be using. Probably en_US.ISO-8859-1 so this is what you do. It may depend on which distribution you are using. If, like me, you're using Gentoo, add LANG="en_US.ISO-8859-1" to your /etc/env.d/00basic file. If your system has a /etc/profile.env file then add that line in there. If you don't have that either then add the line export LANG="en_US.ISO-8859-1" to your /etc/profile file. The export part is important!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.