Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Monitors
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
davejavu
I just did a clean install of Red Hat and it looks fabulous on my office monitor. When I took the computer (PII, 533) home and plugged into the home monitor, it will display the text start up, etc., but the monitor goes black when Linux tries to display the GUI. Anyone know how to get a monitor recognized? Thanks!
hughesjr
The problem is probably that the monitor at home can't display the resolution that was setup on your work monitor.

The easy fix is to look up the Horizontial and Vertical refresh rates for your Monitor on the web and then boot to text mode and edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (if you don't have XF86Config-4 then the file is XF86Config) and change the values of the following lines to their correct values (based on your specific monitor):

HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
VertRefresh 48.0 - 150.0

(my info is for a A4331A HP Monitor ... your values will probably be different).

In order to get to the text mode login screen, you must boot to runlevel 3 ...

Here is how to boot to runlevel 3....
-------------------------------------------
1. Start the PC ... when you get to GRUB, press the e key to go to edit mode.
2. Find the Kernel line ... it will look something like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-18.9smp ro root=LABEL=/

3. Select this line using the Arrow Keys and with the line selected, press e to edit the line.

4. Move to the end of the line, and add a space and 3....then press enter In my line from above it would now look like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-18.9smp ro root=LABEL=/ 3

5. press b to boot.
davejavu
Permission Denied

I logged at the root (su - ), but permission to edit the file is still not granted. Here is what I get:

[root@localhost root)#
-bash: /etc/X11/XF86Config: permission denied

One more question: once I get permission (IF I get permission), do I need to type "edit" or "type" before the file name, or should I just type the file name?
hughesjr
Right now you are trying to excute the file ... buy typing the name of the file by itself ...

you need to use an editor to edit the file....

if you've never used one, I recommend nano

To find out if you have installed you can issue the following command in the text mode:

rpm -qa | grep nano

If you don't have nano, you can get it by typing this command at the command prompt (you must be connected to the internet to download this file):

CODE
wget http://www.nano-editor.org/dist/v1.2/RPMS/nano-1.2.2-1.i386.rpm

Then type this to install it (from the directory you ran the wget command from):

rpm -Uvh nano-1.2.2-1.i386.rpm

You can then use nano to edit the XF86Config file like this:

nano -w /etc/X11/XF86Config

Use the arrow keys to move and edit the file .... at the bottom of the screen you will see something like this:
^G Get Help  ^O WriteOut  ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text  ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit      ^J Justify  ^W Where Is  ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Txt ^T To Spell

The ^ means the Ctrl key, so the write the file you would use Ctrl-o and after saving the file you would use Ctrl-x to exit....(the -w switch in the nano comand line means don't wrap the lines)
davejavu
could I do the same thing using "joe"? That is already installed.
hughesjr
YES -- joe will work ... jpico shows you the contol keys as well ... so

jpico /etc/X11/XF86Config

^o to save and ^x to exit
davejavu
SUCCESS!

I learned just enough vi to edit the file, and presto! The monitor is happy and I have a GUI.

THANKS HUGH.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.