Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reiser Vs. Ext3
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
roshko
Hi all,

I am just in the process of installinig SuSE 8.2 Pro.

I am just about to create my "/" partition. I know how big I want to make it, and thought that I wanted to use ext3, but YaST is suggesting I use Reiser. I had never given Reiser much thought, but perhaps I should.

Does anyone have any comments that could help me make my decision? Any personal experience with the two? Is one better/worse interacting with windows compared to the other?

I know they are both journaling filesystems, but that's about it.

Thanks,
Michael
hughesjr
Reiser is supposedly faster ....

As far as working with windows is concerned, there is no difference.

Personally, I have noticed no real difference on a workstation between ext3 and ReiserFS ... and because I am more familiar with the ext3 tools, that is what I normally use.

Reiser 4 (not yet in the stable distros) is supposed to have a signifigant boost in performance and some other neat features (like treating directories as files) ... but I haven't really seen a major performance or relability difference between reiser 3.x and ext3...
roshko
Thanks for the tips!

I ended up going with ext3, mostly because it is built upon a proven technology (ext2), although I'm sure Reiser is pretty solid by now too.

Maybe in the future (when Reiser 4 comes out in a stable distro), I'll add a Reiser partition and compare the two.

Cheers,
Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.