Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cd Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
rfburnhertz
Just installed SUSE 8.1 and get the following error eachtime I attempt to mount either my CD player or my CD Burner.

"Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
/dev/cdrom: Input/output error
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified"

I'm not sure what to do, I am still fairly new to Linux.
I would sure appreciate any advice that any might have to offer.

My /etc/fstab concerning the cd player and recorder reads as follow if it might offer any insight:
"/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0"

Thank you,
RF
hughesjr
Are you trying to mount CD's with a file system or Audio / Video CD's?

You don't have to mount Audio CD's or Video (VCD, DVD) CD/DVD's to use them...

You may also want to change the auto file system type (the 3rd column) to udf,iso9660 and see if that helps.
rfburnhertz
QUOTE (hughesjr @ Aug 24 2003, 06:59 AM)
Are you trying to mount CD's with a file system or Audio / Video CD's?

You don't have to mount Audio CD's or Video (VCD, DVD) CD/DVD's to use them...

You may also want to change the auto file system type (the 3rd column) to udf,iso9660 and see if that helps.

Your all over both problems I posted, thanks.

I wasn't very clear as I left out almost all of what I experianced here.
The error I posted in my first post was because I tried to mount an audio CD. The reason I did this is because if I just open the app (KsCD) or click on the CD player icon, the app opens but does not see the CD.

When I mount for a data CD I get the following error:
""Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: No medium found""

Anyway, I did edit /etc/fstab as you suggested.
Didn't work, but did give me a new error ohmy.gif which follows:

For data CD's this is the new error ->
""Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrecorder,
or too many mounted file systems""

For audio CD's it's just the same problem, KsCD opens but does not seem to see the CD.

I don't think I made a mistake, but here is my edited /etc/fstab :
""/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder udf,iso9660 ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0""

Look right?

Thanks again for your reply.

RF
hughesjr
The mods you made to fstab are correct.

As I said before, AudioCD's and VideoCd's can't be mounted....so if they are not working then it might be something else.

Try using only iso9660 in the 3rd position (instead of udf,iso9660) and then mounting the CD. If this doesn't work ... try reinstalling autofs (see the next paragraph).

I don't have a SUSE test box right now, but SUSE uses a program called AutoFS ... The autofs might be the problem. Try re-installing the version of autofs that you have and see if the auto tag works in the 3rd spot after re-install.

In your /dev directories is there a link from the devices cdrecorder and cdrom pointing to the correct drive? Do the command:

ls -al | grep cdrom

and

ls -al | grep cdrecorder

and see where they point....

I'm doing a SUSE 8.2 install on a test box right now (via FTP) ... when it is finished, I may have some better advice.
rfburnhertz
QUOTE (hughesjr @ Aug 25 2003, 06:58 AM)
The mods you made to fstab are correct.

As I said before, AudioCD's and VideoCd's can't be mounted....so if they are not working then it might be something else.

Try using only iso9660 in the 3rd position (instead of udf,iso9660) and then mounting the CD. If this doesn't work ... try reinstalling autofs (see the next paragraph).

I don't have a SUSE test box right now, but SUSE uses a program called AutoFS ... The autofs might be the problem. Try re-installing the version of autofs that you have and see if the auto tag works in the 3rd spot after re-install.

In your /dev directories is there a link from the devices cdrecorder and cdrom pointing to the correct drive? Do the command:

ls -al | grep cdrom

and

ls -al | grep cdrecorder

and see where they point....

I'm doing a SUSE 8.2 install on a test box right now (via FTP) ... when it is finished, I may have some better advice.

I'm going to try the things you suggested here in the next few hours as I am able.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

RF
rfburnhertz
Okay, I ran through the things you told me.

Here is what I have found.

I can load data CD's now. By right clicking and choosing properties on my CD Rom and Recorder icons, and then choosing the device tab each one was denoted correctly. That is CD ROM as /dev/cdrom, CD Recorder as /dev/cdrecorder.

But if I click on the CD ROM icon the CD Recorder spins up. Click on the CD Recorder and the CD ROM spins up. So in the device tab I changed CD ROM from /dev/cdrom to /dev/cdrecorder and changed the CD Recorder device tab to /dev/cdrom. And now, as I said I can view data CD's. Still no music CD's though.

Okay, there is more. biggrin.gif

I did change my fstab so that the 3rd position to have only iso9660.

Through Konsole I entered my /dev and did the command you gave
ls -al | grep cdrom and then cdrecorder, this is what I found. -> -> ->

For CD Rom it read hdc
For CD Recorder it read sr0

I also uninstalled and reinstalled AutoFS.

At any rate, other than the fact that I can read data CD's al else remains the same.

Thanks again for your help.

RF
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.