Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After 2 Days Of Endless Pain, I Would Like To Ask
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
batkata
I have been trying to get a Linksys USB100M Compact USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter running under Mandrake 9.1 without any luck. I have found the following instruction on how to get it up and running, but since I am a total newbie in Linux, is it possible for someone to give me more detailed instructions on how to proceed.?
Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The LinksysUSB100MLinux is a page describing the Linksys USB100M Compact USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter, and running it under Linux. It does work under Linux properly. Using the RTL8150 module.

# modprobe rtl8150

In your kernel compile .config you will need to have:

CONFIG_USB_RTL8150=m

Also, RTL8150 is not in the standard 2.4.18 Linux Kernel. You will need to use a newer kernel or patch your kernel to get the RTL8150 module. I'm using 2.4.19-pre10. The RTL8150 module is included in 2.4.19

After you have inserted your module, you should be able to do an:

# ifconfig -a

and see an eth0 to dhcp an address

# dhclient eth0

The Linksys USB100M is not a Pegasus chip, so don't try to load that driver for this USB NIC.
hughesjr
The way hardware devices (like network cards, modems, hard drives, etc.) interface with the Linux OS is through the Kernel .... the kernel contains all hardware drivers. When a kernel is compiled (that means made) it may or may not have support for your specific hardware devices.

If your device is not compiled into your kernel ... and if it is included in the standard kernel source ... it can be added to the kernel and a new kernel compiled. On most new kernels, most hardware support is compiled in already.

When compiling in hardware support in the kernel, you can include the code in the kernel directly ... or you can include it as a loadable module. Most items that load after the hard drives are now done as loadable modules.

Hopefully, your kernel has support for the module you need (rtl8150) already compiled in....

Try typing this in a terminal window:

modprobe rtl8150

What is the result? Any Errors?

That command should load the kernel module rtl8150. If you get an error like:

modprobe: Can't locate module rtl8150

then your kernel will have to be recompiled with support for rtl8150 as a module.

If you didn't get an error, type the command:

lsmod

you will see all your loaded modules....one of them should be rtl8150

If so, and if you have a DHCP server (like a router or Internet Connect Sharing server), you should have an IP address ... so typing the command:

ifconfig -a

should show your IP address ..... if not, typing the command:

dhclient eth0

should obtain an IP address (if you have a DHCP server to assign the address)...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.