Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Virus Software For Linux?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ctrunk514
I was wondering if anybody knows of any antivirus software for Linux. I know that there are very few viruses for Linux, but with more and more people using Linux there is a possibility that more Linux viruses could start popping up. I kind of prefer to stay ahead of the game if possible.

I have some Linux servers that are very important and I do not want to take a chance if I don't have to. Also, I would not want to install any "shareware" type software on these systems, as they are very important servers. I wonder if there are any commercial software that is being made for Linux.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Joey
I think there are a few out there but I've never used any.

Have a look at http://www.google.ca/search?q=linux+virus+...F-8&hl=en&meta=
chrisw
go here F-Prot for Linux

This is the virus software i use for my linux box
Joey
What does it actually scan?
chrisw
F-Prot Antivirus for Linux Workstations
For home users using the Linux open-source operating system, we offer F-Prot Antivirus for Linux Workstations. F-Prot Antivirus for Linux Workstations utilizes the renowned F-Prot Antivirus scanning engine for primary scan but has in addition to that a system of internal heuristics devised to search for unknown viruses

F-Prot Antivirus for Linux was especially developed to effectively eradicate viruses threatening workstations running Linux. It provides full protection against macro viruses and other forms of malicious software - including Trojans.

Features
F-Prot for Linux Workstations features:

Scans for over 93276 known viruses and their variants
Ability to perform scheduled scans when used with the cron utility
Scans hard drives, CD-ROMS, diskettes, network drives, directories and specific files
Scans for images of boot sector viruses, macro viruses and Trojan Horses

F-Prot Antivirus for Workstations is FREE for Home Users
F-Prot Antivirus for Linux Workstations is FREE for use by personal users on personal workstations
Joey
Sounds like a waste of a cron job to me.
chrisw
why is that?
Joey
From what you pasted below it sounds like there is no real time scanning of downloads etc.

What do they expect me to do, download everything and wait for a cron job to run to check it? Manually scan each and every download? No thanks, if I haven't managed to snag anything in the many years of using linux, I'll take my chances and save the cpu cycle/cron job. smile.gif
giblet
Personally I believe that most people that write viruses are Micro$oft haters (often employing address book, outlook and office built in features). If you properly secure a Linux server it would be very unlikely to be affected my a virus, even one specifically written for Linux systems. Just make sure that you monitor the security updates for your version of Linux.

NB... Do you use iptables or ipchains? I only recently upgraded to iptables and it is considerably better for securing a firewall.
chrisw
i just mainly use the anti-virus
for scanning certain areas of my
linux box...the local home directories
and the directories that are shared
via samba....
other than that i dont rarely do
a full system scan...cause i dont
run x..its all command line for me...
all i run is a webserver and mail
server....ssh and sftp...samba
so i just run the antivirus to check
my samba shares..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.