Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake 9.0
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
brokendreams
Hi guys. I am currently downloading Mandrake 9.1 ISO's, and I have a few questions.

First, this will be installed onto a harddrive with Winxp on it. I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ANYTHING on this drive, at ALL. What are some things I should avoid?

Secondly, is it fairly easy to set up for a network under mandrake? I heard good things.

Thirdly, do I HAVE to dual boot, or, is there a way that I can only boot linux with a boot disk? I don't want to have to force my parents to go through a lilo dual boot, actually, I'd rather them not even know linux was ON here. heh.

I am just doing this all to re-familiarize myself with The Wonderfull World Of Linux before I make it my primary on my own computer in the next six months or so.

Any help would be appreciated.
brokendreams
Also... Is it possible to put all three isos on a DVD, because that is currently all I have in the way ov removable media smile.gif
Pyrran
Hi

Looks like I'm a couple of days in ahead of you and as I was in a similar situation thought I'd post my experience so far - I just downloaded the 9.1 ISO's and have just finished installing and updating things. (Although I have other "issues" to try and solve now!)

Firstly, your XP installation should be fine and come through unscathed. (Although of course nothing is 100% safe unless you've backed up your XP partition! But then you knew that... right? wink.gif )

I take it you have created free space on the harddrive for linux?
- I had a 120gig drive - and allocated 20gig for linux. Using the "Use Free Space.." option during the Mandrake install created three linux partitions: 1: 8gig (mounted as /), 2: 512mb (swap) and 3: 11.5gig (mounted as /home)
- How much room you need and how much space you'll be left with is dependent on which and how many packages you select for install of course.

Networking under Mandrake is very easy - using either DHCP (default) or static IP addresses. I used DHCP as my main machine (XP Pro) is currently setup to share it's net connection. Mandrake queried XP for an ip address during it's initial boot and was given one along with gateway information, masks, etc. I did have to go into the Mandrake Control Center and click on the icon to setup internet connection before I could access the net though. In short - if you have any trouble with it you're very unlucky (or more likely the problem is with other machines on the network)

Dual-Booting: I'm not doing this (my strategy changed!) so kind of hard to say. If memory serves I think I remember an option during the install to install lilo to a boot disk? Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

ISOs on a DVD?: One of the options I toyed with before install was to copy the contents of the CD's to a single folder on the XP partition and install from there - I managed this fine and should be no problem if you were to copy them to the root dir of the DVD. Although I'm not sure what you need to do to make the DVD bootable. (I could not install from my "combined" folder though as it was an NTFS partition - hence the strategy rethink I mentioned above.)

Finally let me say that I'm a newbie to linux (other than a brief dabble a couple of years ago) - so please take everything I've said above in that context - it's merely my impressions and experiences thus far in installing and configuring Mandrake 9.1

Good luck!
brokendreams
Thank you much for the info. That is all I needed to know. smile.gif

I got the blank cd's I needed anyhow, so, I don't need the DVD anymore...

I have like 15 gigs free on this drive, and I might just put all my mp3's that I have (currently eating about 30 gigs) on the blank dvd's I have, and run them from there...

Again, thanks for the help!

Also, it is still possible for me to read my NTFS/FAT32 files through linux, right? I want to be able to play mp3's through Linux, but do not nead to write or modify anything...
Pyrran
QUOTE (brokendreams @ Aug 20 2003, 08:19 PM)
Thank you much for the info. That is all I needed to know. smile.gif

I got the blank cd's I needed anyhow, so, I don't need the DVD anymore...

I have like 15 gigs free on this drive, and I might just put all my mp3's that I have (currently eating about 30 gigs) on the blank dvd's I have, and run them from there...

Again, thanks for the help!

Also, it is still possible for me to read my NTFS/FAT32 files through linux, right? I want to be able to play mp3's through Linux, but do not nead to write or modify anything...

No probs - yeah you should be able to access both NTFS (read only) and FAT(32) (Full r/w) partitions straight out of the box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.