Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux Install Help
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
gazzahenshaw
Hi all, I'm having a real problem installing linux. I can install Mandrake 9 and 9.1 no problem, but I want something new, so i tried to install Peanut linux and Slackware. I install them both, everything seems fine until the installation finishes and i restart. I get a black screen with LI on it and thats it, what an i doing wrong?

thanx
hughesjr
Lots of things can cause LILO to hang on startup ... a couple of the more common ones are:

1. You didn't make the /dev/hda1 bootable in fdisk when you setup your partitions.

2. You make /boot a seperate partition ... or you made it a seperate partition, but you put it more than 8gb from the start of the disk ... lilo can only read to the 8gb point on the disk for booting.

3. You didn't execute LILO before you booted after moving the kernel to the /boot directory.

4. LILO was not setup properly.
jetblackz
LILO wasn't installed correctly. Install it each time you install a distro. Make sure it points to the right place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.