Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Lcd, But No Driver. What Do I Do?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
applemaz
I had a CRT monitor on my RH9 machine, but I replaced it with a Norcent LM550 LCD screen. It came with no drivers, and I couldn't find even a Windows driver for it on the web, let alone a Linux driver. When I go in to manually enter the monitor name and its horizontal and vertical sync rates, RH9 will not save the entries. Is it really necessary to make these changes? I just don't want to end up damaging the LCD with sync rates from a CRT.

Michael
hughesjr
If everything is working, then XFree is picking a good rate ... but it would be good to set the scanrates so the probes only look in the proper ranges when performing the startup scan. I have never seen a problem, but it is better to be safe.

I'm not sure why it RedHat won't save the results, are you using the progam /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86 (it is also on the standard menu at MenuButton-System Settings-Display) to make the changes (try running it from the command prompt...make sure you run it as root) ... If this doesn't work, you can enter the information manually by editing the file /etc/X11/XF86Config (or XF86Config-4). You need to restart X to see the changes....

Look in your /var/log/XFree86.0.log and see what it says about the monitor (XFree86 performs a check when stating and it picks the rates it is going to use).
jetblackz
Drivers are nothing more than numbers. The most important you should be looking for is the specs. vertical & horizontal sync's. such as 50-90hz. And 1024x768@75Hz. LCDs wouldn't get past 75hz. Find the specs on the Web and maybe manual or product brochure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.