Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rh9 Installation Woes
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
mountain_bykr
I'm new to Linux, as I am to this forum.
I downloaded the RedHat9 ISO's, burned them, set my computer to boot from CD.
The Linux Installation goes fine until it tries to load anaconda. Then my monitor is given a 23Hz signal, and that's it.
Changing the resolution doesn't help. Sometimes I get the same problem. Other times my computer locks up at the media check page.
System specs are AMD Athlon XP 2100+, Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo, 512MB DDR RAM, Seagage 80GB S-ATA HDD, MSI GeForceFX5600 256MB vidcard.

Suggestions?
Joey
Maybe some bad ISO's? Did you check the checksums and do the media check before the install?
mountain_bykr
The few times the checker worked, it gave me the thumbs up. Is there another way to check checksums?

EDIT

Sorry, just found out about MD5Summer... the checksums match up. That's not the problem, I guess.

EDITx2

Other things that might make a difference:
a) I have a DV Monitor
cool.gif I tried a copy of RedHat8 (that I know is good) and it also locks up. Definitely a hardware issue, but what?
ctrunk514
There is a way to load in non-GUI mode ... if you can get throught that it would rule out the video card and may point more toward the monitor.
hughesjr
Hey ... that's a nice PC!

Boot to the RedHat 9 install disk, Press F2 and then at that screen, try this:

linux noprobe acpi=off pci=noacpi apm=off

or

linux lowres acpi=off pci=noacpi apm=off

if all else fails ... you can do the text install:

linux text acpi=off pci=noacpi apm=off

If you go here and search for sata and A7N8X in the nForce Linux forum you will find lots of posts about the SATA hard drives ... do you have a regular IDE drive you can use till the SATA drivers get better?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.