Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Onboard Intel Pro/1000ct Gigabit Ethernet
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
mysticboer
I have installed SuSE 8.2 Pro running on a MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard with an onboard Intel PRO/1000CT Gigabit Ethernet controller. The install did not indicate any issues although initialisation of eth0 fails on bootup. I know the controller works fine because I use it under XP.

Does anyone have any idea how to get SuSE 8.2 to recognise the controller ? I'd love to get away from windows altogether but cannot without solving this problem first.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreicated. I'm not a seasoned Linux user so detailed instructions would be best if possible.

Thanks
hughesjr
I just looked at the kernel for RedHat 8 (the one I looked at was 2.4.20-13.8) ... and under network devices - 1000 Mbit - there is a device called:

Intel® PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet support

and on the default RedHat kernel it is a module...

Looking in the directory:

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/e1000

there is a file named e1000.o ... which is the driver for Intel® PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

However, I don't know if it is the driver for your specific card ...

Do lsmod to see if e1000.o is already running ... if it is not, and if you have the file e1000.o, do the command modprobe e1000 and it should load the driver for Intel® PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet ... then do lsmod again and make sure it's loaded.

Then you need to try and start the network card ...
I'm not sure of the script for SUSE ... in RedHat I would do the command:

/etc/init.d/network restart

and in gentoo it would be /etc/init.d/net restart
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.