Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [rhl 9.0] There Are No Users, Now I Can't Log In
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Fat_N_Furry
I was working with Red Hat Linux 9.0, and I deleted all my users (I was experimenting, like the moron I am dry.gif) and now I cannot log in. The root user still exists, but when I attempt to log in as root, I get this error message:

The home directory is listed as:
'/home/root'
but it does not appear to exist. 
Do you want to log in with the root
directory as your home directory?

It is unlikely that anything will work unless
you use a failsafe session. 

So I changed my session to Failsafe, and clicked the Yes button - no such luck. It just goes back to the username prompt. I tried changing my session to Failsafe and clicking the No button, and it did the same thing.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my thread, and thankyou for any assistence you would provide.
Rick
Joey
Try loading linux into single user mode. Reboot the system and at the lilo prompt type:

linux single
Fat_N_Furry
Thanks for your reply. Actually I'm using GRUB. Is there any way I can get to LILO from GRUB, or perform the same actions from GRUB?

Thanks again.
Rick
Joey
Not sure, have a look at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...ing-single.html
hughesjr
Booting off the RH9 first CD and entering this at the prompt substitute your partition for XX:

linux single root=/dev/hdXX initrd=

should get you into the system in single user mode ...

you can then create a /home/root directory .... and create a non root user using the useradd command!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.