Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opening Files Off A Cd Drive
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
www.jabberjaws.net/forum
Hi I have recently started using Linux Mandrake and I need help with locating the CD drive. Because I want to get some files off a disk. I am using Mandrake 9.1 and I use it in KDE(graphical mode).
Joey
Does anything happen when you put the CD in the drive? I thought mandrake had autofs installed by default (ie it should detect and auto mount the drive)
michaelk
There various ways of seeing the contents of the cdrom drive. Mandrake uses supermount so you don't have to use the mount / umount commands.

There should be an icon on your desktop that says removable media. If you click the icon with the mouse button another folder pops up with icon that should say cdrom and floppy. Clicking on that icon will bring display the contents of the drive.

Sart Konqueror by clicking on the house icon on the task bar. This should display something similar to the windows explorer. On the left side navigate to the /mnt/cdrom directory. Your cdrom contents will be displayed in the right
window.

You should also get to know how to open up a console windows. Its the black square icon on the taskbar that sort of looks like a monitor. This is the old command line interface.

Reading the KDE online help guide will help figure the desktop out.

Be sure to close any window that is accessing the cdrom before removing the disk.

I don't have any good links on tutorials but just do a web search and you can find lots of documentation.
hughesjr
In order to see your cd drive you have to mount it ... and in order to remove the cd you have to unmount it...(some versions of Linux use autofs ... it will auto mount CDs ... but only if the mount directory exists).

Here is how (all commands are run from a terminal window):

look at your file system table (/etc/fstab) to make sure you have an entry for your cdrom:

cat /etc/fstab | grep cdrom

The output should look somthing like this:
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0

The second item in the list is the mount point ... in this case /mnt/cdrom. Make sure the directory actually exists by using this command:

ls -al /mnt/ | grep cdrom

The output should look something like this:
dr-xr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Mar 17 16:05 cdrom

If you get no output, then you need to create the mount directory ... in this case the command would be:

mkdir /mnt/cdrom

You would substitute the elements of your actual cdrom mount location ... if your fstab output had /usr/cd as the mount point instead of /mnt/cdrom then in all the examples, you would substitute usr for mnt ... and cd for cdrom ... so ls -al /mnt/ | grep cdrom would become ls -al /usr/ | grep cd. For most versions of Linux, /mnt/cdrom is right.

Now that you have a directory, you must mount the cd (after you put the cd in the drive). Some versions of Linux use an automount feature ... some do not. Here is the command to mount the cdrom:

mount /mnt/cdrom

Now you can access the info on the CD by going to the directory /mnt/cdrom:

cd /mnt/cdrom

You can also use any GUI filemanger (like konqueror) and go to /mnt/cdrom.

---------------

When you are read to change cd's ... do this command:

umount /mnt/cdrom

.... you can't have any files open on the cd when you try to unmount it. Mount the cd again when you are ready to use it...
www.jabberjaws.net/forum
thanks everyone. you have been a great hand smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.