Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shortcut
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
D-meter
I use Opera as my default browser. I haven't installed it, I start it with the command "./opera" in Opera's directory. If I type only "opera" it won't work. So I wondered if I could make a shortcut so that I can start it from the desktop. But when I make a shortcut to that "opera" file the system only displays it.
What do I have to do?
Thanks!
Joey
Hi,

What distribution are you using?
What distribution version are you using?
What desktop are you using?
What is the path to Opera?
hughesjr
when you type ./opera it means run a file named opera in your current directory ... when you just type opera it means run a file named opera fom the PATH ...

so it means you don't have the file named opera in your path!

you can fix the shortcut 1 of 3 ways....

1. you can point to the full path of the file named opera in the opera directory for the shortcut ... for example if the opera file is in /opt/opera/bin then use:

/opt/opera/bin/opera

as the path for the shortcut....

2. Create a link from a directory in your path to the opera file ... so it appears to be in that directory...so if the path to opera is /opt/opera/bin/opera you would first change to a directory in your path like /usr/bin :

cd /usr/bin

then you would type the following command:

ln -s /opt/opera/bin/opera opera

then if you do the following command:

ls -al /usr/bin/* | grep opera

you should see:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 213 Jul 29 03:27 opera -> /opt/opera/bin/opera

(the permissions, owner,size, etc might be different)

After you do this, the command opera typed from any directory or opera as a shortcut will now run the browser.

3. Add the opera directory that contains the file opera to your path

Edit the file .bash_profile in your home directory and add this as the bottom line in the file:

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/opera/bin

type the command (from the users home directory):

source .bash_profile

(or just log out and log back in as that user).

All the examples assume the file named opera is in the directory /opt/opera/bin ... you will need to substitute your actual opera directory for /opt/opera/bin ....

I would recommend doing #2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.