Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Linux And New Hardware?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
dalegreenlee
Has anyone had and found a solution to installing RH 6.1 linux onto new hardware? We have Linux loaded on 35-40 systems running POS. We have been using this system since 1999. This year a change has apparently been made to the CMOS's and the installer no longer recognizes the hard drive as a hard drive. It seems to think it is a CD-ROM. Moving to a newer version is not yet an option (Costs + time are prohibitive: replace and reload 40 systems or maintain 2 complete code systems and compilers!!) Is there a way to make the system read correctly? Any advise would be appreciated.

Dale
hughesjr
I was able to install RH 6.2 on a p4 box with no problems....I couldn't get version 6.1...(booted from a iso image downloaded and written to CD).

What hardware and hard drive size are you using?

one major potential issue with this version of redhat is the 1024 cylinder limit for the /boot directory. If your hard drive is larger than 1024 cylinders (or > 8gb) then I would use a seperate /boot directory created as /dev/hda1 .... I normally make my boot directory 100mb at the front of the drive.

Are you booting a CD image to install?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.