Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ip Address Auto
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
bobs
Using Red Hat Ver 6.1. Am attempting to connect to cable network via a LINKSYS router. Have a separate computer system operational via LINKSYS using Windows. Wish to connect my Linux system to same network. LINKSYS requires the option " OBTAIN AN 'IP' ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY." (LINKSYS does not support Linux)
Can this be done in Linux, and, if so, how?????? bob
hughesjr
yes .... that is using DHCP.

Linux also uses DHCP to obtain addresses (you can select it on install) ... however, unless you must use RedHat version 6.1, I would recommend a newer version of Linux.

You can download and burn RedHat 9.0 iso's for free ...

The newer versions are much better at properly detecting and setting up hardware, have a much nicer look and feel, and are much easier to maintain updated. (RedHat no longer provides official support or security patches for any version older than RedHat Linux 7.3.)
ctrunk514
what kind of Linksys router are you using?

I have a linksys (BEFN2PE) and have used a few other Linksys router modles. I am and have always been able to use static IP addresses. You should not have to use DHCP (if you don't want to). The linksys router does not have any idea what is connecting to it

Hmmm.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.