Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ntpd - Network Time Protocol
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
giblet
I have an old P90 running rh8 as a firewall. I want to set up NTPD to keep the system clock accurate but I can't find a simple description of how to do it, just reams of information on all of the different options.

I don't have X installed on the machine, everything has to be configured by hand. I have just spent about 2 weeks fiddling with settings to get the network, internet, samba (that was the easiest bit), iptables, and my ups all configured.

I can't imagine that NTPD would be that hard to set up... I downloaded a atomic clock sync program for wintendo and that worked straight away.

Does anybody have a simple configuration I could use?
Corey
This is all I do after I installed ntpd:

ntpdate Tick.gpsclock.com

This downloads the current time from the above server, and syncs my system with it. I'm guessing it reads your timezone file to figure out where you are. Other then that, that's it, works fine. You may want to use a more local server if you want.
Joey
QUOTE (tourettes @ Jun 27 2003, 10:01 AM)
This is all I do after I installed ntpd:

ntpdate Tick.gpsclock.com

This downloads the current time from the above server, and syncs my system with it. I'm guessing it reads your timezone file to figure out where you are. Other then that, that's it, works fine. You may want to use a more local server if you want.

How often do you run that? I assume you threw it into the crontab?
giblet
Thanks... running /usr/sbin/ntpdate (with a time server) works well. biggrin.gif

What protocol does it use (so I can set up an appropriate iptables rule)? The machine is a server/firewall and I currently don't allow any traffic other than udp from my isp's dns servers in my input table. (and of course LAN traffic on the other ethernet card)
giblet
cool.gif I found out off a work colleague... NTP uses UDP since it is the fastest protocol, I have poked a suitable hole into my firewall and it works just fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.