Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nooby Question
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
mnguyen281
Hi I am a new convert to Linux and so far I have no idea what I have been doing but its been great. I have a couple questions that I was hoping you guys could answer...

BTW I am running Red Hat Linux 9 kernal version 2.4.20-8 on a Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook.

1) How do I boot to the command line instead of the GUI?
2) I installed Mozilla again since my old one was corrupted, but (and this is really pathetic) I have no idea where the files were installed so I can't open the browser. Where are program files installed? I'm still trying to learn and get used to the file system.
3) Is my mouse supposed to be slower than in Windows?

Anyway I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks again.
Minh
Jcav
I'm not a pro, and I'm also using MDK, so some things might be a little different. I don't know about the first one, but I think the programs are usually installed in /usr/bin. If you have some type of search utility, use that. Or in a console type "whereis mozilla". As for the mouse, again I think things are a little different, but if you have some kind of control center, you can change the speed there. On mdk the default speed was really low too. Hope this helps some. smile.gif
chrisw
to change the run level from gui to command prompt

look for this file: inittab
it should be in /etc

open the file in a editor...

look for this line:

id:5:initdefault:

change the 5 to a 3

save the file and the next time you boot...it will boot to command line

then to start your gui....while in command line...you just type startx...
mnguyen281
thanks a lot laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.