Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change boot order on UEFI machine
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
CuriousCarl
Got a new dell laptop, came with Windows 10. My older computer I could press f2 to change boot order so it would first go to cd drive. This new computer has UEFI and I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I am only going to us this computer for Linux, so no partitions to worry over. I'm a total newbee to unix and mint. Tried Libre Office and am hooked. Want to make friends with Mint. Made an ISO disk for Mint 17.3, just don''t know how to safely get it loaded. Thanks
CuriousCarl
QUOTE (CuriousCarl @ Feb 24 2016, 05:31 PM) *
Got a new dell laptop, came with Windows 10. My older computer I could press f2 to change boot order so it would first go to cd drive. This new computer has UEFI and I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I am only going to us this computer for Linux, so no partitions to worry over. I'm a total newbee to unix and mint. Tried Libre Office and am hooked. Want to make friends with Mint. Made an ISO disk for Mint 17.3, just don''t know how to safely get it loaded. Thanks

michaelk
Since windows will be erased you can change the BIOS from UEFI to legacy and disable secure boot. This should allow you to install any distribution.
CuriousCarl
QUOTE (michaelk @ Feb 27 2016, 09:31 AM) *
Since windows will be erased you can change the BIOS from UEFI to legacy and disable secure boot. This should allow you to install any distribution.

CuriousCarl
Was intimidated by the UEFI, learned that at least with Dell Inspiron 5000 series there was nothing to fear. Just hold down f2 during boot up like normal, a screen with a window in the upper left corner opens saying something like BIOS modification. Using the arrow keys I just moved the highlight down to Boot Order and hit enter, another window in the upper right part of the screen allows you to highlight your cd and then a button on the right allows you to move boot order around. Interestingly after MINT loaded successfully I went back to return the boot order back again, and the Mint installation had already done. it. Am a total newbee, just love Mint, Thunderbird, Firefox, and LibreOffice. Thanks for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.