Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Couple Of Problems!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
greginno
First, I must apologize for any noobie moves I will/have made. biggrin.gif

Anyway, my first problem comes with LAN connection. I have a Netgear MA101 wireless deal and I've set it up with all the proper atmel wireless drivers etc and it works fine except when I reboot. Upon doing so and coming back to Linux I'm unable to do anything connection wise unless I once again execute:

ifconfig eth0 ipadress up
route add default gw ipaddress

Now my question for this would be is there anyway to get it to stay for each time that I shut my system down? It's a bit bothersome!

My second question is in regards to installing the Java RE package. I've downloaded the software and ran it. What seems to have happened was a simple extraction of files to /usr/local/j2re1.4.1_02. What further steps need to be taken to have access to the java commands? The installation doc's on java.sun.com weren't too friendly to me.

Thanks in advnace,
Clueless
Jay-Jay
Hiya Clueless.

To add a module into the kernal so it will boot up, you need to logg in as root (su if your in RH) and type the following.

"insmod <module>"

Now, I would try "insmod ifconfig eth0 <ipadress> up"

and see if that works . . . it might not. But if it doesn't you'll have to write a module on the network stuff. I'm not 100% sure how you do that but try the above first. I've no idea on your Java thing . . . but . . .

When you say you installed a JAVA thing do you mean a JAVA internet browser or are you talking about a prog that helps write Java?

a. If your a Java programmer thats great, I'm looking at setting up a programmers forum to this site, but I only html/xhtml. I'm looking at gettin' a group of people together just to chat about programming.

B. What did you download that you write java in? I tried a bit of C using a command line editor, but all my texts on C programming contained bugs so wouldn't compile so I could really load em!

Jay-Jay
greginno
Oh my apologies for such vagueness. The Java "thing" that I was reffering to was simply the Java 2 Platform (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html). When trying to install something earlier I ran into a problem; It required me to have the Java runtime environment installed thus enabling a supposed "java" command to execute the installation. After following the instruction set on the Sun website (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/jre/install-linux.html) and rebooting, I was still unable to run the "java" console command.

Stumbling around through google searches I came across a page that I thought would help. One of the things it gave me to do was something along the lines of "ln -s j2re1.4.1_02 j2re". j2re1.4.1_02 is the directory name located in the /usr/local folder. j2re was some kinda of symbolic link it recommended?? Im not sure what that means or what that does but now when I get the /usr/local directory listing, the j2re is highlighted in red and flashing.

Im currently on the upstairs computer, but as soon as I step down again I will try your recommended cure for my lan woes. For now I'm gonna continue on my search, thank you for the help though. Sorry for the programming disappointment!
Jay-Jay
Hay, sorry that I couldn't help on the Java thing.

But if you ever take up programming or need help with html/xhtml (nothing with CGI scripts in it though, i'm waiting to learn that till i can write them in Java!) you know where I live!

Jay-Jay
greginno
Fixed the java problem! Came across a document that explained how to like the java/bin to usr/bin in order to get full access to the commands. Unfortunetly your insmod recommendation didnt work sad.gif

Thanks,
Greg
Jay-Jay
Looks like you'll have to write a module and then use insmod <newmod.c> and that'll work.

But I have no idea how to make a new module, but I'll hang around till someone else knows, and I'll learn as well.

Jay-Jay
warheros
there was something at linuxquestions.org (another very good linux forum) that talked about setting up a command where you just typed in a word and did a predefined command for you. try going there and searching for "alias upstairs" i think it was...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.