Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finished Using Files In Zip File Folder, Ok To...
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
LinuxHatesMe
After unzipping a tar file and installing the contents of it and doing make clean, it is ok to delete the folder in which the files from the zip are after the files installed were installed in there proper places if no options were given, am I correct?
Jay-Jay
Well I suppose, I mean if your talking about removing the old Zip file then you should be able to delete it, but I suggest that you only do it you are despirate for HD space. For example. . . . to backup you can just burn the Zip, also if you need to edit the files (if it were a kernal for example) you wouldn't need to d'l it again!

Jay-Jay
LinuxHatesMe
The zip file AND the files that I unzipped to install whichever program they were for. I'm never desperate on hd space, but I keep a clean and tidy os and I don't clutter my system/os's with zip files and leftover installation files. Everything is used and either backed up to a specific location and zipped or deleted. No need for files laying around when in a few months I might not even know what they're for, if I need something I www.google.com it. smile.gif I'm a googler. tongue.gif
michaelk
Did you follow the compelete installation instructions? Where there any make install commands?

The install commmand will copy apps and any man pages etc to the directories that are specified in the make files. So if you did then yes you can delete those files if necessary.

But before you do make sure the app you installed works for you. Some apps have configure options which might be required for your distro or computer.
LinuxHatesMe
Yes so far they all used make install commands. How do I go about testing the validity of the program though? This is something I've been trying to figure out.
Jay-Jay
Well, does the prog work for you?!?!?!

E.g. if it was an internet browser . . . does it do what it's supposed to . . . . i.e. browse the internet, use mailto links how you'd like them to etc etc, all the functions that you would normally use . . . i.e. what you don't want to happen in this instance is to hit a mailto link and it try and load up and look for the install file that you've just deleted. Then you'd have to goto the script find the e-mail address and put it in another mailer.

E.g. Make sure every componenet that needs the install files that your about to delete (or the zip or whatever it is in this case) is setup/installed fully.

Jay-Jay
warheros
if you installed every file that needs to be installed, and everything works properly, you can delete any setup file associated with it. but i like to keep those kind of things around incase i cant get on the internet for some reason (hey, i cant now!) and need to reinstall, or if someone wants the program, i have it there and can burn it for them.

makes things easier, and if you have the space, why not?
LinuxHatesMe
Good points, good points. BUT, I do alot of messing up and find myself reformatting or changing partition sizes constantly. My computer is basically for testing and learning. So I do alot of that and alot of screwing up!!! I also play alot of games and any 1 of my games WITH mods/addons takes between 2-4 gigs a piece. And with a 20 gig hd that doesn't leave me much room to backup and store stuff. Specially now that I decided to run two os's, which require two sets of programs and two sets of games. LOL even if it's the same game! How annoying. I was I could just have 3 partitions, 2 for the os's system files. and 1 to store programs and games for BOTH os's. Hopefully this would one day happen in the future. A unity of filesystems combined to form ONE universal filesystem. *drools* Thanx for the info.
Jay-Jay
Sounds like your trying to do to much on one machine/hd.

I suggest that you install your games on only one OS and thats that.

Jay-Jay
LinuxHatesMe
In the end I'm going to, but currently I'm comparing how they run on each machine and seeing which runs better. As I stated, I use my pc for testing and learning. Only way for an accurate comparison is to test them as close to simultaneously as I can. smile.gif

EDIT: Btw, there is no such thing as too much. If the brain can handle it then the pc will make an attemtp to handle it. cool.gif
warheros
i assume you mean the human brain, which is probably a million times ahead of the linux os or any computer. anyways, back to the point.

if you want to have two partitions, one for each os, and then another for all other files (games/progs/etc.), i sugguest then that you burn those setup files to a cd, then delete. you never know when youll need those. plus, you probably wont need more than like 30 gig on a linux partition. that's including progs/games/etc.
LinuxHatesMe
EDITED
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.