Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lag?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
LinuxHatesMe
I tried using mozilla today since the flash plugin will only work with it and not Konquerer although I've grown extremely fond of Konqurer and can't imagine even using IE or Netscape again. And I'm noticing the EXTREME amount of laggyness. I can't imagine it's lagging because of my system. XP uses ALOT more recources than linux that I've noticed. Could this be the case if my video drivers wern't installed or are working correctly? I've been feeling that they may not have been for some reason although I did everything the install file said. I used the nvidia graphical installer, changed the info in XFConfig-4 or whatever the file was. I remember seeing a thread about someone else having problems with nvidia graphics on linux but don't remember what it was about. Perhaps nvidia and linux don't go together that well? Although I thought geforce graphics cards were supposed to be the best compatible cards for linux. Anyways, how do I go about double checking my video drivers making sure they work as SHOULD be? I know they are activated, that lame NVIDIA splash screen pops up when I load x up. But I don't feel as they are getting there full juice out of them. EIther that or does Mozilla just hog every AVAILBLE recource left on your computer? LOL. If so I guess IE has a challenger.
Jay-Jay
When you say lag, do you mean your browser laggs or you system, BIG difference!

2ndly, the only reason your graphics mite be wrong and cause your system to go laggy is if you set your system to 'software render' the graphics i.e. you proc(essor) manages the graphics instead of your graphics card (g/c).

But I don't know how you would do this, even if you wanted to!

Jay-Jay
LinuxHatesMe
Clarification: I mean the system lags, IE: browser loads slower, menus take longer to pop down, cursor lags. Whole kittle kaboot. If my system is set to software rendering, yes I agree that would definately do it, and unless this is done by default I DIDN"T DO IT!! Is there an info section specificaly for my video settings to check whether or not this is the case?
Jay-Jay
No idea. Someone else will though.

Jay-Jay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.