Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raspberry Pi hot spot
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
bambinos
Hi all again.
so i have reached to another problem.
what i need to do is to connect 2 wifi adapters each in a RPi and have them both connected to each other without using any other hardware as a middle man (router).
is that possible and if yes could you guide me through it.
i have searched through many forums but evedryone is using a router to do that work.
thx in advance
michaelk
To configure an open ad-hoc network between two computers can be as simple as just running the following commands. Change the IPs as necessary. Most wireless adapters can be configured in ad-hoc mode. If you want to run encryption then you will need to use WEP or WPA (recommended). Lots more info can be found by searching for ad-hoc networking.

Not all wireless adapters can be configured as an access point and setup can be a bit more difficult.

RP1
ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 channel 4
iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
iwconfig wlan0 essid 'mywireless'
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.1

RP2
ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 channel 4
iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
iwconfig wlan0 essid 'mywireless'
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.2
bambinos
hi again and thanks for your help.
i did all you wrote me and i reached again a point of no return wink.gif
first of all when i scan for the network it tells me that i am in channel 1 not 4.
second even though i can connect to it from a windows machine and a raspberry i cannot connect on it via two raspberries, which is the main theme here.
is there a command that i need to connect manually or is there any other prob that i cannot even think about it.
also, i dont know if it helps that... even i though i am connected to the network from windows i cannot see or even ping the first machine.
thx again
michaelk
Well, channel really does not matter.
I have no idea what point of no return means.
Without knowing what errors your having or what is not working it is difficult to know how to help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.