Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WiFi link
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ManxJohn
I installed Linux Ubuntu 12.04 some months ago and all has been working fine until about a week ago. I am using a Dell Studio laptop via a wireless router. I accidentally tried to access the internet with the router switched off. Initially, I clicked in the wireless logo and toggled in on and then off, before realising that the router was switched off.
I powered up the router and expected it to automatically connect as it had done before. The authentification screen appeared, so I put the password in. After about 30 seconds it asked for it again.... And again and again. In the end I gave up and connected directly.

So I decided to tell it 'forget' my network, with a view to starting again. Still no joy - it just asks for authentification for ALL the local routers, including mine!! It doesn't need to be networked - but it needs to use the same router. Any suggestions, please? The repeated requests for authentification make it difficult to use....
michaelk
How did you tell it to forget the network? Are you using network manager?
ManxJohn
QUOTE (michaelk @ Mar 9 2013, 12:35 PM) *
How did you tell it to forget the network? Are you using network manager?

Not sure, but probably. I clicked on an icon on the task bar and found a dropdown menu with about 9 options. This later also allowed me to disable the wireless connection which at least stopped the repeated demands to enter the password.
As you will have gathered, I'm new to Linux! I have several computers currently in use, with W7 and XP, but wanted to learn about Linux, and to (hopefully) have a more reliable & robust system for my financial affairs. Whilst the WiFi link is not essential (arguably better without it), I would at least like to have the choice, and understand what I accidentally did to upset what was previously a satisfactory connection.
My Netbook still works OK with the wireless link, so I don't think that the problem lies there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.