Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you record vinyl to Linux..?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
DonaldJ
Just got a modern digital turntable in the box, at a garage sale for just pennies.. Seems the previous owner angrily gave-up on trying to get it working.. Seems he even beat it up a little in punishing it for not working, but it's still in good shape.. It works with an old amp, but not to computer, yet...

It's an "Ion Profile LP" turntable.. It has a USB connect, but it doesn't even register on any Linux OS.. The instruction manual says it's for Windoze & Mac.. I wonder if that excluides Linux OS's..? The CD drivers don't load to any Linux OS.. I've wasted many hours on the Net, and with various towers and OS's, trying to get this thing going, but have had only failures.. Does anyone out there know how to make an ion tt work with Linux?..
What's the best Linux OS for pulling tunes from vinyl..? I've got All the prime 60's, 45's and 33's, about a ton of prime condition vinyl records to work through to get the music I like to mp3... umm.. "HELP!"...
michaelk
I've never had the chance to play with a USB turntable but this appears to be good article.
https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/periphe...able-with-linux

If your device isn't supported you can plug the tape output i.e amplified signal into your computer assuming it has a line input. Use audacity and there is lots of info on the web that will get you going.
DonaldJ
Thank you dear Michaelk..

WhooH! this thing gets more and more complicated by the minute, but eventually I'll get it...

From your link, seems I must dig for an adapter that connects 2-male RCA plugs to one sterio pinjack, so I can plug it into the sound card's input.. I might have one in the junk boxes in the shed, hopes I.. so I'm off to the shed to dig in boxes, where ever they might be..?

Got Audacity installed.. WoW! Audacity is sure a full powerful piece of software.. Makes me wonder if they'll ever see it to make their own Linux distro called Audacity..?
Whomever wrote that software is probably "state of the art/cutting-edge/wave-crest"...

I have anotther little problem with getting music from 2 other computers..
I recently got 2 scrap blue iMacs from garage sales for a dollar each.. They play their tuines, but that's all I can do with them.. One has 300-60's tunes, the other has 750 super 60's & early 70's tunes on its hd..
I tried CD and Flash to pull off the tunes, but all attempts failed.. I don't have the OS's PW's, nor do I have any of the OS install CD's to force change PW's.. I plan to pull off the tunes, then install the 2 macs with a suitable artist Linux OS's, but I'm finding there's a lot of dynamic finickying with setting the clock, and adding old drivers, before the installs with work.. Seems it's gonna be one h of stretch...
Any ideas how to get those 750 tunes off the iMac..?
michaelk
Most newer Macs use IDE or SATA drives so you can remove it and plug it into a USB adapter of the same type.
Lots of info can be found for mounting a hfs+ file system.

It is typically against the rules of most forums to provide information on cracking passwords so if you want to go that route you are on your on.
jake19
QUOTE (DonaldJ @ Jun 11 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Thank you dear Michaelk..

WhooH! this thing gets more and more complicated by the minute, but eventually I'll get it...

Uhh...really?? You're not new to Linux, based on your other post. You're also known as "cosmicbrat", "occultrush", and "cosmicb", all of whom have been posting crap on Linux forums for YEARS, and each time you claim to be 'new' to it. Sorry, but you're either a VERY slow learner, or a liar.
From your link, seems I must dig for an adapter that connects 2-male RCA plugs to one sterio pinjack, so I can plug it into the sound card's input.. I might have one in the junk boxes in the shed, hopes I.. so I'm off to the shed to dig in boxes, where ever they might be..?

Got Audacity installed.. WoW! Audacity is sure a full powerful piece of software.. Makes me wonder if they'll ever see it to make their own Linux distro called Audacity..?
Whomever wrote that software is probably "state of the art/cutting-edge/wave-crest"...

Those cables are cheap, but if you had tried Google for help, you'd have turned up lots...even on the Audacity website:
forum. audacityteam. org / viewtopic.php?f=48&t=66069

The device shows up as a USB sound device...go into Audacity, and select it for input. You don't bother giving any details (what linux you're using, what desktop, sound hardware), so not much anyone can help you with. Although based on your blog, help is certainly needed.
DonaldJ
So what do you file that post under sir..? To me it comes across like a keen way to pump out a bunch of insults, in mirroring your own state of affairs.. done just on the line, to seem like it's not flaming... It's still a flaming crap post sir.. I feel its sting.. You are proficient at doing bad-things just on the line.. Your crap post does nothing to add assistance to the topic of this thread.. I bets you're the antagonist who is stalking me throughout the Internet, casting your toilet-class words my way, and e-hitting my PC's OS's to cause me grief, for you to get your little girlie tingles and giggles... You are the police officer who is creating new ways to invade and damage Linux systems, for your so-called intel BS..
The Internet world, and Linux world,, and the legal system, should determine who you are, and charge you with your crimes, and terrorisms, and your torturing of Innocents, and fine you for the illegal stuff you do on the Internet, and to people.. You are a common bully.. Get Pampers! & Grow-Up!..
jake19
QUOTE (DonaldJ @ Aug 20 2012, 10:12 AM) *
So what do you file that post under sir..? To me it comes across like a keen way to pump out a bunch of insults, in mirroring your own state of affairs.. done just on the line, to seem like it's not flaming... It's still a flaming crap post sir.. I feel its sting.. You are proficient at doing bad-things just on the line.. Your crap post does nothing to add assistance to the topic of this thread.. I bets you're the antagonist who is stalking me throughout the Internet, casting your toilet-class words my way, and e-hitting my PC's OS's to cause me grief, for you to get your little girlie tingles and giggles... You are the police officer who is creating new ways to invade and damage Linux systems, for your so-called intel BS..
The Internet world, and Linux world,, and the legal system, should determine who you are, and charge you with your crimes, and terrorisms, and your torturing of Innocents, and fine you for the illegal stuff you do on the Internet, and to people.. You are a common bully.. Get Pampers! & Grow-Up!..

I fed you links to the audacity forum where they told you about that device and how to make it work. Asked you about what linux you were using and desktop, since you can probably go into the mixer app and select it.

guess you kinda proved my point about you needing help...dude, get your meds. I'm sure theres lots of bullies everywhere you go, aren't there?
DonaldJ
Seems everything you cannot comprehend is to you "crazy", till you get a handle on it..
I wish you wouldf hurry up and grow a mind... Please stop bullying me.. I not your daddy!..

groups.yahoo.com/group/occultrush/message/211
jake19
QUOTE (DonaldJ @ Aug 21 2012, 10:51 PM) *
Seems everything you cannot comprehend is to you "crazy", till you get a handle on it..
I wish you wouldf hurry up and grow a mind... Please stop bullying me.. I not your daddy!..

groups.yahoo.com/group/occultrush/message/211

Get your meds...you need them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.