Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cd-rom Drives/floppy Are Inaccessible
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
BogusTimeFlip
I just installed Mandrake today, so I'm not too familiar with it just quite yet. I am having problems with my cd-rom drives (CD-R & DVD-Rom) and my floppy drive. Whenever I try to access them, it always spits out "Can't enter /mnt/cdrom." What could be the problem? I have no idea how to tackle this problem. So far, my cd-rom drives and floppy drive aren't functioning in Mandrake. I tried putting cds and floppies, but I still have no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?
andrewjenkins
Welcome to the Unix concept of mounting. Before you can read your CDROMs, floppies, windows c drive, you'll have to mount them. As you get more advanced, you can research fstab and automount, but for now, this will work:

mount device-name mountpoint -t filesystemtype

to mount a floppy, it'll be something like:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -t vfat

Assuming the floppy is a windows floppy disk.

to mount a CDROM, I'd recommend trying these methods in this order:

mount /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660
mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660

Now, when you are finished with the disks, you have to unmount:

umount /dev/fd0
umount /dev/hdc

both mounting and unmounting probably have to be done as root.
michaelk
Mandrake installs supermount so that you don't have to explicitly use the mount / umount commands. Its not perfect and depending on how you use the drives supermount can cause errors.

What version of Mandrake did you install?

How are you trying to access the drives? Are you using the desktop shortcuts?
Are you navigating through Konqueror?

You should be able to pop in a floppy and use Konqueror to select /mnt/floppy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.