Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ethernet Card / Mandrake 9.1 / Not Connected Woes
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
JJMann
Hi. I set up Mandrake 9.1 on an old computer of mine, and can't get the NIC to work.
Here's what I've got...

Motherboard: Trigem Cognac
NIC 1, Linksys etherfast LNE100TX
NIC 2, D-Link DFE-530TX+
Celeron 633

At first, I only had one NIC, but, as time wore on, I bought the second NIC thinking perhaps the first NIC was defective, but that was unfortunately not the case. Anyway, the system will recognize the type of NIC I have installed, as it displays the information in the drakConnect control panel and it lists the right kind of driver for the particular NIC, but when I connect it to my cable modem, it refuses to connect. Rebooting and reinstalling/ moving the card from slot to slot make no difference whatsoever (so much for my busmastering theory)

My other computer is a dual boot Mandrake / XP and has no problems whatsoever connecting to the net through that very connection.

Suggestions? Please? :-)

Justin
Jay-Jay
Which card are you trying to get working? Both at once or separately?

Jay-Jay
JJMann
Oh, I should have said that.

I just want one card in this PC.

I figure I can put the other one in my other PC and try some networking when I get done with all this. :-)

Justin
Jay-Jay
Just re-read your original post.

I am a little confused.

You said when you tried to connect you network card to your cable modem?

Just to explain why i'm confused, It may be because i'm English and in England (making an assumption that your not) words might get a bit confused.

When you say cable modem, i'm assuming that you mean somesort of 'broadband' ISP modem, and it's got a RJ45 socket on it. A cable modem in england is an external / internal modem that works on telephone cable not RJ45 cables, unless there are some out there that have a RJ45 for network support.

Incidently I don't think that I will be able to answer this one, but after you reply to this post the next person may see the problem easier and know the solution quicker.

Jay-Jay
JJMann
Yeah, a little language difference. In the states cable modem is typically an external device used for interfacing with a "cable line" referring to the kind of cable which television signals come in on. Generally it's got a usb and ethernet port/RJ45 port, to attach it to your computer.

:-)

Justin
Jay-Jay
Hrrm . . . looks like we will have to wait till someone with some more knowledge than me (which incidently won't be that hard to find) comes in.

Jay-Jay
michaelk
Your linksys card should be supported. You can verify at Mandrakes website on the hardware compatibility list.

Your linksys network card uses the tulip module. The command lsmod will list modules installed.

What kind of modem is it? Cable or DSL. I assume that you will be using DHCP?
Is it a direct connection to the modem or do you have a router inbetween.

The command /sbin/ifconfig eth0 will show if the card is configured and running.
Assuming that the linksys card is configured as eth0.

Check the file /etc/modules.conf it should tell you how the ethernet cards are configured for eth0 and eth1. Something like:
alias eth0 tulip.
andrewjenkins
I've installed the LNE100TX in probably about 5 different linux machines. Sometimes even more than one. They tend to work when they work, but they're quirky otherwise. What kind of tulip or networking related output does "dmesg" give you? Any idea what "version" of the card you're using? 4.x and 5.0 work very well in my experience, but 2.x isn't so great.

You could consider upgrading your kernel, as the tulip code appears to be continually evolving. 2.4.20 works great for me.

Another problem I've had is that the LNE100TXs sometimes unseat themselves and cause intermittent failures, sometimes even working in windows when not in linux (or vice-versa), you could check that I suppose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.