Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake Installer Can't Locate Cd Drives?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
semicp
When I try to install Linux Mandrake 9.0 from a CD the initial setup screen loads however immediately pops up saying CD Drive not found and asks for the driver, it gives a list of about 20 or so drivers, but non seem to work. I am fairly positive it is because I have SCSI CD drives and it does not recognize them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Jay-Jay
Hiya,

I'm a bit of a newbie myself, infact can't get X to work at all (awaiting a response to a post). I'm sure I / we all here could be a little more useful to you if you would be so kind as to gave us some more info about your drive? (Exact spec's would be great!) Mite be easy to find drivers (if that's the problem) if we know what drive you are trying to run.

Jay-Jay
semicp
The drive is a Samsung DVD SD-616T and a WinXP Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE Controller that supports RAID and SCSI controllers. That was all I could really find on the DVD drive and the scsi card. Hopefully that's what you wanted.
Jay-Jay
I'm sure that some else might be able to help you better, but i'll give it a shot, might be worth trying.

One of the programmes mandrake 9.0 installs is a package called "mkinitrd". I don't know what you were running prior mandrake 9.0, or how your SCSI's were set up but it might have something to do with the way the kernal loads the SCSI adapters. The mkinitrd looks for the SCSI address in the kernal modules and can't find it because some generic kernals can load up SCSI's without drivers, as modules. To be honest I don't really understand much of the technical stuff so it's pointless me going on about it.

My suggestion is, find someone who has mandrake 9.0 installed and use the programme "mkbootdisk" which will make a mandrake 9.0 boot disk, which I assume you will need to edit in some way, but the boot disk can be set to have SCSI support. Boot up with the boot disk and then try installing from there.

I hope i'm right, but i'm not a 100% and have only got the info this of a website;

http://www.cyberknights.com.au/mandrake-9.0-RPMs.phtml

Could you let me know how you get on with this.

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong or if there's an easier way of doing this.

Jay-Jay
michaelk
What is the part number of your promise card?

The systems boots because of the BIOS of the controller card. But once the initial install loader is running it searches for IDE and SCSI controllers and I am guessing that there are not any linux drivers for your controller card.

You can check the hardware compatability list at Mandrake's site and see if it shows up. Also check Promise's website for any linux drivers.
Jay-Jay
Hay michaelk, thanks for the help.

Would the floppy boot disk idea work? I've never really used linux and i'm just trying to learn! Also, was I right in anything that I said michaelk?

Sorry to confuse you semicp.

Jay-Jay
michaelk
Jay-jay
mkbootdisk will make a boot floppy disk for an already installed system. Its just the bootloader. There are boot floppy disks you can create but with out the correct IDE or SCSI modules they will not work either.

mkinitrd creates a initial ram disk image for preloading modules like the SCSI and IDE required to access the boot partition.

See the man pages for info. Its not that windows is any less complex its just that linux exposes you more to the inner workings.

Your starting to get the hang of it. I have used linux for about 8 years and the more I learn I realize the less I really know.
Jay-Jay
Yeah, I get that feeling, about the more you learn the less you know . . .

I'm just hangin' out here to see if I can learn some stuff (and awaiting an answer to my post).

Where are the man pages kept, I mean is there a dir somewhere full of man pages?

Jay-Jay
semicp
I'm not 100% sure of the part number, although I found the product on Promises web site, but it did not seem like there were any drivers available for anything other than Windows or Novell?

http://www.promise.com/support/download/do...y=driver&os=100

Does this mean that I should go about intalling Mandrake another way? I'm installing it to my second hard drive (i will have a dual boot of XP and Mandrake) so do you think it would be best to simply copy the Cd's to the hard drive then run the install from there? I'm not even 100% sure that will work? Anyway any suggestions or solutions would be great. Thanks again.

Pat
michaelk
Is this your card?
http://www.imd.com.my/promise/promise_ultra133_tx2.htm
semicp
Yeah that is the card.
michaelk
Well Promise says it supports linux but Mandrake doesn't list the card.

Another reason I ask if that was the card was because it doesn't support SCSI devices.
What SCSI devices and what IDE devices do you have?

Your DVD is an IDE device so it is compatable with linux. Do you have any on board IDE controllers that you could plug your DVD drive into?

Are you sure its saying can not find CD drive?
semicp
OK, so I looked into it more, it turns out I was misinformed, I had talked to the manufacturer and they had said the error was most likely due to the fact that the CD Drive is scsi, I checked and like you said they are in fact IDE. In fact the DVD is pluged into the onboard IDE controller and not even the Promise card.

Here is what happens when linux tries to install. I get to the opening menu (hit enter to install or upgrade a mandrake system), then an error message pops up saying: "No CDROM device found". Press enter and it brings up a screen with this message: "Which driver should I try to gain SCSI access?" I fyou hit cancel and do not select a driver it brings up a screen with other install options which are as follows: NFS Server, FTP Server, HTTP Server, CDROM Device, and Hard drive.

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.