Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Error Loading Any Gui's
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Jay-Jay
Could someone please help?

When I go to load up X libscanpic.a says that my graphic's chip is on BusID PCI:00:20.0.

When I try "lspci" it says that my graphics card chip (a cirrus logic GD 7548) is on BusID 00:14.0. And this problem still occurs when it's in XF86Config-4 as the busID is 00:14.0.

Also, I can't find anywhere online that deals with the fact that my Gateway 2000 Solo 2100 has a dual head graphics card, every FX86Config-4 files that i've seen online for my machine don't appear to have taken this into account.

Warmly

Jay-Jay
Jay-Jay
I've done some more work to the coding and it still is having the error. The problem comes when it scans the PCI stuff. It lists all the BusID's and what they are in the log file and then for some reason it probes, and I quote from the log file . .. .

"
(--) PCI:*(0:20:0) Cirrus Logic GD7548 rev 0, Mem @ Oxfc000000/24, Oxfd000000/24

"

Then a whole lot of foo and then again, including the driver load up for the Cirrus chipset above

"
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:14:0
(WW) CIRRUS: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:20:0) found
(EE) No Devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
"

Jay-Jay
Azz
well just see if simon can help u
Jay-Jay
Thanks mate, I've just sent him an e-mail. I'm really hoping someone can help me on this. It would be great to learn enough to make it my primary and then my only OS.

Jay-Jay
andrewjenkins
It is legit to specify BusIDs in XF86Config. I have no idea if this would fix your problem, though. You could try

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVidia GeForce 2 GTS/Ti"
Driver "nvidia"
VideoRam 65536
BusID "PCI:0:20:0" #LOOK HERE
# Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

quoting XF86Config(5):

BusID "bus-id"
This specifies the bus location of the graphics card. For PCI/AGP cards, the bus-id string has the form PCI:bus:device:function (e.g., "PCI:1:0:0" might be appropriate for an AGP card). This field is usually optional in single-head configurations when using the primary graphics card. In multi-head configurations, or when using a secondary graphics card in a single-head configuration, this entry is mandatory. Its main purpose is to make an unambiguous connection between the device section and the hardware it is representing. This information can usually be found by running the X server with the -scanpci command line option.
Jay-Jay
Yeah, i know I can put the bus ID in the XF86Config(-4), I've done that and I still get the error whether I specify the 0:13:0 + 0:14:0 or the 0:20:0.

Using lspci says that i got graphics chip on

0:13:0; 0:14:0

using dpkg-reconfigure only puts one in, any help writing the config files needed to get this working would be great, i'm sure that's all i need to get sorted.

Sometimes crying eases the pain!

Jay-Jay
Jay-Jay
Holy COW!

Now i'm in trouble!!!

doing a
more /proc/pci

I find that it lists my bus id as 0:20:0.

Which is remarkable odd coz lspci shows that the chip more /proc/pci is on 20 is on 0:14:0 . . .

Anyway

Now i'm getting a different Error.

"
(ww) System lacks support for chaning MTRRs.

This should not happen!
An unresolved function was called!

Fatal server error:
"

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Jay-Jay
andrewjenkins
I'm not sure if this would fix the problem but MTRRs might not be enabled in your kernel. The easiest way to find out is to do "ls /proc/mtrr". If you don't get a "No Such File or Directory" then your kernel does support MTRRs. I didn't think MTRRs were a requirement for X, though. This is certainly bizarre.
Jay-Jay
Just to say I now know why there was an error with the BusID.

lspci gives it's results in hexidecimal
more /proc/pci gives it's results in decimal

Decimal is what you need to get things working.

As this answers this topic i'll start a new one with the next problem.

Jay-Jay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.