Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Compositing
nankura
post Aug 5 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,502

Hey guys
Ive done alot of research and checked alot of forums for this. but i cant get a straight answer i guess hmm most dont even reply, so i thought id come here, basically due to this error, compiz is the only effects manager i can use that has sync to vblank and doesnt tear the screen

( i know its weird, but some reason i despise compiz!! i dont want to use it )

Ok basically compositing. when i have the XFCE4 XFWM Compositing options enabled. i recieve heavy screen tearing in every game i play and movie

My Graphics Specs
Gefore GTX 460 1GB
NVIDIA version 280.13 Drivers

Id also like to add that if you guys google this error, you will find that im not just talking. its a known bug in many bugzilla's, and nobody is picking it up, XFCE have acknowledged it in there official bug section, but KDE, Compiz, etc all have not acknowledged it, and nvidia refuse

The only Distro's strangely enough that i have not found reports of this bug on. like i mean i found this bug in XFCE, arch, all theway to ubuntu and debian. but the only 2 distro's ive not experienced this bug in myself or heard of it, is Fedora 15 Gnome 3, and any Openbox distro

i dont know what F15 did right, but they did something right, and Openbox seems to not suffer this issue. so i have no idea why that is

Now when i use compiz. and enabled compositing with Sync to Vblank in opengl and Detect Refresh rate, i dont recieve any tearing and everything runs fine, accept for when exiting a full screen window. it crashs the desktop - known Compiz bug

Now im wondering, is there any fix for XFCE. or is there anyway to get the XFCE4 compositing manager to Sync to VBlank like compiz does, and use opengl/detecting refresh rates

I might also add that the XFCE display manager was not reading my refresh rates properly, disabling the TwinMonitor Option in my Xorg.conf fixed this issue, but i am not sure if that will effect the compositing manager , whether they work together or not but the tearing still occurs, i have also tried alot of forum guides to try and fix this issue, the only solution was to disable compositing completely

I would like to add that this little issue, which is a well known one and happens with nvidia and almost any compositing WM, so its not XFCE's fault, it would just be nice if there was a program, or something made to add Sync to VBlank ( which seems to be the cause of the issue ) options to any WM/DE that uses compositing like compiz does
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- nankura   Compositing   Aug 5 2011, 07:25 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 12:34 PM