Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Getting wireless working without an internet connection
robfinley
post Apr 23 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,258

I have an Acer laptop with Windows 7 and a freshly installed Linux Mint 8. I don't have internet and can only connect wirelessly through a local public network.

I've installed Mint 8 several times before. It works great and I love it. In the past, when I've installed linux, I've had an internet connection I could physically plug into. I just downloaded the restricted drivers it recommended.

Now, I don't have home internet but I still would really rather be using Linux then Windows. How do I use my windows 7 to get online and get the files I need?

What do I need and where do I get it?
How, once I have it, do I make it work in Linux?
This is what I'm trying to figure out...

I ran lspci and found a Broadcom BCM4312 (suggestion form the Mint forum)

Linux Mint says “restricted drivers available” when it boots and offers
Broadcom B43 Wireless driver (apparently aka fwcutter)
and the Broadcom STA wireless driver.

I downloaded "hybrid-portsrc_x86_32-v5_100_82_38.tar" -the STA driver, from Broadcom's website
I also just grabbed "b43-fwcutter_012.orig.tar" -from launchpad

Using the Mint filemanager, I drag-n-dropped these files into my linux partition.
Both tarballs are sitting in my home folder /home/robert/

Do these look like the files I need? What next? I am embarrassingly unskilled with linux and would need someone to tell me what to type just to untar them.

I need someone to take me step-by-step through what I need to do with them in order to enable wireless connectivity.

--------------------
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”
-M. Gandhi
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 05:19 AM