Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trouble with sound after attempting to upgrade ALSA on Slackware 12.2, Sound problem on Slackware 12.2 after trying to upgrade ALSA
Xmetalfanx
post Dec 21 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,877

Hello, I have been trying to get a few things on Slackware 12.2 "dialed in" but am having issues. I am not a newbie to linux itself, although I am far from an expert. I am not going into why my mouse (USB) is so sluggest after I compiled a new kernel (First time I ever tried to do it) while the touchpad in my laptop is fine normal speed cursor movements .. thats a totally different issue

I have a Toshiba laptop with a "Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)" card (according to Alsaconf) .. The default install gave me sound and when I plugged in headphones, there was sound threw both speakers and headphones. there was no option in any mixer I tried for "jack sense" I believe its called. (headphones) ... I was hoping a new kernel would fix the issue but not optimistic that (kernel upgrade alone) would do it.

That's when I decided to try ALSA upgrade. I removed all existing (-lib,-tools,-utils,...etc) packages for ALSA and downloaded all of the ALSA packages from the official homepage of ALSA ..

the versions I believe are 1.0.17 default .. that worked ...kinda ... and removed) ... and now ALSA 1.0.23

I have been searching forums for a few days and I admit I could have overlooked the one answer that will fix this issue.

Now I have all the 1.0.23 packages (untarred, ./configure, .....etc etc method of installing) installed and I have run alsaconf to show "Alsaconf version 1.0.23" and it does detect my card (although it is called something else in Windows 7, that earlier name I posted is what ALSA says the card is) .. it asks me if i want to configure some configure file (i honestly forgot the name off-hand) and i say yes (I have run alsaconf before so its not new to me. After that it flickers for a split second and then goes back to prompt saying "Sound has been setup successfully" or something similar.

THAT'S WHEN I run into the issue. I run alsamixer to see what new channels are now in my mixer, but I get messages like "sound server unable to connect ... .using /dev/null" (I really should copy the EXACT message down when I am in Linux) ...

I HAVE run ./snddevices and it appears to create "something" ... I have even seen posts that said after that (snddevices)to run chmod on a few devices that snddevice created... I have done that and still no good.

I have just run dmesg at the suggestion from a friend and I have noticed

Code:

CODE
snd_page_alloc: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_timer: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_pcm: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_hwdep: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_hda_codec: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_hda_intel: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_page_alloc: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_timer: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_pcm: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_hwdep: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_hda_codec: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '
snd_hda_intel: version magic '2.6.27.7-smp mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.27.7-smp SMP mod_unload 686 '

I admit that looks like it may hold clues, but I do not know exactly what i am looking at there. I hope to get sound back and alsa 1.0.23, and if its something stupid .. .a single tarball I need, I am all ears to you linux experts.

I had same issue (no speaker mute, when headphones are plugged in) in Ubuntu on the same machine and after hunting the Ubuntu forums I found a package "alsa-driver-linuxant_1.0.23.0_all.deb" that after installed (and maybe rebooted too) fixed sound issue and added needed channels in Ubuntu. I have even tried Alien to convert that to a tarball but after installing, it still "no sound server" type errors in Slackware 12.2.

Windows name for sound driver btw is Conexant Pebble High Def SmartAudio. Could all of this be caused by ALSA mis-detecting my sound driver maybe?...

Thank you to anyone taking the time to read all of this and especially anyone who is going to given themselves a headache to try and help me. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT

-Xmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 10:52 PM