Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Ubuntu - Installed to Laptop, Not loading up Unless Booting From HD Vi
ShadowK
post Jun 10 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,495

Hey guys, I made the following three posts on the Ubuntu Forums as it's really frustrating the hell out of me though no one has got back or responded and it's quickly getting buried in the pile.

Decided to google around for other forums and came across this one. Hopefully someone here can help smile.gif

Apologies in advance for the cut and paste job though thought it may make things easier as you can see the steps I've taken.

I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to Linux though competent enough to make the necessary adjustments if someone could suggest them.

Many thanks in advance to all those who try!

---------------------------------------
Post 1
---------------------------------------

Hey guys,

I have installed the latest Ubuntu onto my laptop tonight though for some reason it won't boot. I've checked the boot menu and have them in the order of DVD Drive, HDD & then Broadcom Adapter (which I can't get rid of!).

Whenever I turn the machine on it just tries to load up an OS via the Broadcom Adapter which it of course can't do. There doesn't seem to be any option for any other bootup.

Put the live CD in and selected 'boot from first Hard Drive' and Ubuntu booted up perfectly. Still no GRUB though.

Any ideas??

-----------------------------------------
Post 2

Just tried using the Super Boot Disk and it will boot into the OS if I select GRUB or go via other routes. Tried a few repairs and it says its done though its still not working.

Have triple checked the HD is first on the boot order now but still no luck. Anybody?

Post 3

Just tried to install Lilo and run the config file and got this error message about fstab....

Code:

WARNING! │
│ │
│ Your /etc/fstab configuration file gives device │
│ UUID=f9a70686-5a5c-48b2-8c14-6339fbcba6bb as the root filesystem device. │
│ This doesn't look to me like an "ordinary" block device. Either your │
│ fstab is broken and you should fix it, or you are using hardware (such │
│ as a RAID array) which this simple configuration program does not │
│ handle. │
│ │
│ You should either repair the situation or hand-roll your own │
│ /etc/lilo.conf configuration file; you can then run /usr/sbin/liloconfig │
│ again to retry the configuration process. Documentation for LILO can be │
│ found in /usr/share/doc/lilo/.

Don't know if that helps?

Post 4
Am now temporarily having to boot with either Super Boot Disk or the Ubuntu Live CD and select boot from HD. Does no one have any inclination as to what could be the issue here?? Is slowly frustrating the hell out of me.

END

On top of all this I've also tried a few suggestions found elsewhere on the web including rebuilding Grub onto the MBR but still no luck.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 02:19 AM