Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Need help with ssh, ssh issues
mfuller
post May 13 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,457

Greetings all.

I'm somewhat of a newbie to Linux (most of my experience has been with SCO) so please bear with me. \

I've got a new server (RedHat Enterprise 5) that I initially set up in my office without any problem -
i.e. I could connect via ssh with a terminal emulator, no problem. My office, FWIW, uses the 192.168.0.xx class C IP addressing.

Before I shut down and moved the server I reset the server IP address and default gateway to what I thought would be correct for the network, thinking this would be a plug-it-in-and-go thing.

Today I moved the server to its offical home. The new site has a somewhat different network setup (class A 10.10.x.x.) and try as I might I could not connect via ssh (or telnet for that matter)
from any other computer in the network - even after completely disabling the firewall and enabling telnet. I could connect using ssh on the server itself (ssh -l myname 10.10.10.20) but from
any other pc on the network, no luck - the login just sat and eventually timed out. I did not receive a "connection refused" message.

I know the machine is on the network - I can see the other machines and ping them without any problem.

What I've done: I added the test pc's IP address to /etc/hosts.allow file. I've verified that the sshd daemon is running.
I've looked at the iptables listing & don't see any red flags, but the whole iptables thing is new to me, so I could be very, very wrong.

I'm sure I'm missing something stupid and/or blindingly obvious & hope that someone wiser that I can point it out..

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
OaXlin
post May 14 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,429

Here are your primary things to check

1) Is the service listening on the correct IP address? By default SSH normally listens on all addresses, so this is probably not the problem unless you already changed it once... but still a good thing to check.
/etc/ssh/sshd_config (this is on debian... may be in a different place on redhat)
You may need to change the ListenAddress value
You could also check by tying to connect to the machine from itself using the 10.10.x.x address... weird but hey it's an easy test.

2) Can you connect to SSH from other machines on the local network?
If no, then the problem is probably your sshd_config, or iptables
If yes, then the problem is probably iptables, nat or port forwarding not being setup properly
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 10:10 PM