Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Need help with ssh, ssh issues
mfuller
post May 13 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,457

Greetings all.

I'm somewhat of a newbie to Linux (most of my experience has been with SCO) so please bear with me. \

I've got a new server (RedHat Enterprise 5) that I initially set up in my office without any problem -
i.e. I could connect via ssh with a terminal emulator, no problem. My office, FWIW, uses the 192.168.0.xx class C IP addressing.

Before I shut down and moved the server I reset the server IP address and default gateway to what I thought would be correct for the network, thinking this would be a plug-it-in-and-go thing.

Today I moved the server to its offical home. The new site has a somewhat different network setup (class A 10.10.x.x.) and try as I might I could not connect via ssh (or telnet for that matter)
from any other computer in the network - even after completely disabling the firewall and enabling telnet. I could connect using ssh on the server itself (ssh -l myname 10.10.10.20) but from
any other pc on the network, no luck - the login just sat and eventually timed out. I did not receive a "connection refused" message.

I know the machine is on the network - I can see the other machines and ping them without any problem.

What I've done: I added the test pc's IP address to /etc/hosts.allow file. I've verified that the sshd daemon is running.
I've looked at the iptables listing & don't see any red flags, but the whole iptables thing is new to me, so I could be very, very wrong.

I'm sure I'm missing something stupid and/or blindingly obvious & hope that someone wiser that I can point it out..

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mfuller
post May 14 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,457

QUOTE (mfuller @ May 13 2009, 09:23 PM) *
Greetings all.

I'm somewhat of a newbie to Linux (most of my experience has been with SCO) so please bear with me. \

I've got a new server (RedHat Enterprise 5) that I initially set up in my office without any problem -
i.e. I could connect via ssh with a terminal emulator, no problem. My office, FWIW, uses the 192.168.0.xx class C IP addressing.

Before I shut down and moved the server I reset the server IP address and default gateway to what I thought would be correct for the network, thinking this would be a plug-it-in-and-go thing.

Today I moved the server to its offical home. The new site has a somewhat different network setup (class A 10.10.x.x.) and try as I might I could not connect via ssh (or telnet for that matter)
from any other computer in the network - even after completely disabling the firewall and enabling telnet. I could connect using ssh on the server itself (ssh -l myname 10.10.10.20) but from
any other pc on the network, no luck - the login just sat and eventually timed out. I did not receive a "connection refused" message.

I know the machine is on the network - I can see the other machines and ping them without any problem.

What I've done: I added the test pc's IP address to /etc/hosts.allow file. I've verified that the sshd daemon is running.
I've looked at the iptables listing & don't see any red flags, but the whole iptables thing is new to me, so I could be very, very wrong.

I'm sure I'm missing something stupid and/or blindingly obvious & hope that someone wiser that I can point it out..

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 08:57 PM