Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Two Questions, I need Help
irnewb
post May 4 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,441

Ok so i'm new to linux and kind of lost, for the most part it's not too bad to learn it's user friendly thus far but I need two things answered.

First off i cannot stand mozilla firefox.. is there any way i can download one of the newest version of "Internet Explorer"? i have tried searching but cannot find one that supports linux =(.
So is there a way to get internet explorer?

Secondly i will be going off to school in september so i bought a new asus laptop with linux, and i cannot figure out how to set a username and password at startup for security purposes as i'll be living in a shared dorm room.
So could someone tell me how to set a username and password at startup?

Thanks a lot in advance for anyone that helps this linux newb smile.gif.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
irnewb
post May 14 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,441

so i tried the "ctrl alt t" thing for a console thing to come up.

I proceded to enter "sude su" hit enter. typed "passwd user" and it prompted me to type a password for it, so i did that.. hit enter and asked to confirm password.. so i entered same one again..

the console then told me the password to user has been set..so i decided to see if it worked.. i reset my laptop and bootup took longer than normal.. stayed on a black screen for about 20 extra seconds then went into my "desktop" as it would normally.

So uh what the hell did i set a password to? because it definitely didn't create a username/ password for me at startup b4 i can access the "desktop"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 09:55 AM