Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Ports wont open for Centos-4.7, I have tried everything
paradox
post Apr 29 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,435

Hey guys I am running with CentOS-4.7 and I need ports 38101-38195 open for a server I am trying to run... I have forwarded my ports on both my ADSL Comtrend modem/router and my Belkin wireless G router with the latest firmware... I even called my isp today and had them do it for me on 3 different occasions.. I asked if they block any ports and they said no...

I disabled the firewall and SEL during installation, I installed onto a fresh installed windows xp SP3 via VM Workstation, no antivirus whatsoever has touched this copy of windows and windows firewall is disabled and I already added the port exceptions anyway. Also the Firewall on my Modem and on my Router is disabled.

service iptables is off via status and netstat shows me listening to some of the ports I listed above.. netstat -c says most of those ports are Established and some are TIME_WAIT.. But the port i need to see the most isnt in that list.. I have set static Ips for all 5 computers in the house.. and I have ran 3 different portscanners on my WANip and I downloaded 1 for seperate LANips which show me that the only port open in CentOS is port 22(ssh)....

I am hosting a private game server and when hosting with WANip people timeout when trying to log in and it creates no logs However I can make it 1 step farther by logging in(with no lag it and yes it is tied to my WANip) and seeing the server I want to connect to but I cant connect to it , when hosting on LANip all computers in house can connect and load the worldserver..

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get those ports open for CentOS and I am not familiar with commands that will allow me to open/communicate/monitor specific ports excluding netstat.. I have been working with this problem for 3 days and though I have not lost my motivation it is taking its toll tongue.gif..

Any help or Advice or Tips will be GREATLY appreciated and I am willing to try anything to resolve this. Thanks in advance guys..

CentOS has 2GB of Ram to itself and 50GB HD...

*Edit- Going to bed so just because you see some1 else reply please dont let that keep you from replying, I need ALL suggestions that could fix this =)..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
OaXlin
post Apr 30 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,429

Look into "nmap" it's a port scanner. I use this to help me verify that my firewall settings are setup properly all the time.

If your having problems this may help you identify the culprit. Simply port scan yourself at each level.
1) On the local box itself "nmap 127.0.0.1" or whatever your ip address is. This will tell you if your server is accepting connections, and if your local firewall is allowing access.
2) On your local network. Setup another computer to port scan. This will tell you if the firewall allows external access.
3) Then keep going out further from your network as possible, repeating the scan.

My guess based on what you've said is that maybe the program itself isn't configured to listen on those ports. Doing a simple nmap locally on the box will easily verify what ports are open.

Check the configuration on your server.
1) Make sure it actually starts your program. And does not report any errors on start up.
2) Make sure it's actually listening on the port/ip you expect, there is a chance it may just be bound to 127.0.0.1 which obviously wont work for external traffic.

Ohh and for the record... firewalls are a good thing. You should never turn them off.

+Quote Post
paradox
post Apr 30 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,435

QUOTE (OaXlin @ Apr 30 2009, 12:24 PM) *
Look into "nmap" it's a port scanner. I use this to help me verify that my firewall settings are setup properly all the time.

If your having problems this may help you identify the culprit. Simply port scan yourself at each level.
1) On the local box itself "nmap 127.0.0.1" or whatever your ip address is. This will tell you if your server is accepting connections, and if your local firewall is allowing access.
2) On your local network. Setup another computer to port scan. This will tell you if the firewall allows external access.
3) Then keep going out further from your network as possible, repeating the scan.

My guess based on what you've said is that maybe the program itself isn't configured to listen on those ports. Doing a simple nmap locally on the box will easily verify what ports are open.

Check the configuration on your server.
1) Make sure it actually starts your program. And does not report any errors on start up.
2) Make sure it's actually listening on the port/ip you expect, there is a chance it may just be bound to 127.0.0.1 which obviously wont work for external traffic.

Ohh and for the record... firewalls are a good thing. You should never turn them off.

I have been using Advanced port scanner and external scanners via sites, The server is running locally atleast, if I change certain IPs in there configs to be local then I myself and others in the house can connect and play, I think you may be right as I believe something is stopping people from externally connecting to me but I cannot figure out what, the ports for 192.168.2.5 are now open as I have figured that out, but even with no firewalls whatsoever ppl cannot connect to me, I wonder how I would go about setting myself up to recieve external connecting.. And yea firewalls are good i plan to reenable once i get it to work and go from there.

+Quote Post
OaXlin
post May 1 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,429

Hmm if that is the IP address of your box then your problem is probably a lack of "port forwarding".

You need to tell your router to forward your real IP address ports to the actual machine. Look at your router configuration and you'll probably find a configuration area for that.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 10:23 PM