Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Blew Away the Wrong Files!, Accessing user account directories on hard drive
WaltK
post Mar 27 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,827

After using Ubuntu 8.10 for about four months and loving it I encountered a full hard disk situation. I was carefully erasing log files and other "uneeded" stuff trying to recover some disk space. I blew
away some critical files in the Boot directory (abi.2.6.27, config-2.6.27, System.map.2.6.27, vmcoreinfo.2.6.27) and now cannot boot into Ubuntu. I can start from the Live CD into the generic
Ubuntu user account but my former user account is not accessible. I don't want to re-install Ubuntu because that would most likely wipe out my Documents, Pictures, and Music folders.
I know my personal files are still on the hard disk. Is there some way of accessing them so I can copy them to my second hard drive before I re-install Ubuntu? I've tried finding my
former user account using the Unix terminal but I don't see it on the disk. Am I really up the creek here??? Thanks for any suggestions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
WaltK
post Mar 28 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,827

Thanks for your suggestion. I downloaded PhotoRec and gave it a try but for some reason couldn't get it to start (my system was fouled up?). It does look like a great tool to have around
so I'll be trying it again when I get the system re-installed.

A suggestion on the Ubuntu Forums got me running again. It was:
- Boot to the Live CD
- Open a terminal and become root with "sudo -s"
- Mount the root partition on the hard drive
At that point I was able to see my original files and back them up to another hard drive. Then I re-installed Ubuntu.
Thanks for your help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 03:49 PM