Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Please help a totally disappointed windows convert
jonny72
post Mar 14 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,183

Apologies as I know i'm gonna sound like a complete retard..I recently bought a HP mininote 2133 with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10. I should add at this point my only dealings with computers is using various windows OS...which is possibly why I'm floundering.

Unbelievably I appear to have bought a piece of hardware that is running an OS that doesn't come with a media player capable of playing any of the popular formats (WMV, MPEG4 etc) doesn't have a decent music player, & would appear to have an image viewer that is able to view jpegs as thumbnails but not able to open the picture for viewing. Having decided I wasn't being spectacularly dim and that this was in fact the case I then went about finding all this open source software that I have heard all about...only to discover that it's not a case of just downloading software, because that's obviously too easy.

I have managed to install Real Player ( something I'd never used before on a "proper computer") after a great deal of pissing about...I know this because when i tried to find it and couldn't after installation I then went back and tried to install it again, I couldn't because it was already installed., apparently..so i have it somewhere on this piece of crap but I can't find it. I had a similar problem once i'd managed to pair my "pc" with my phone..I bluetoothed myself a picture...which my phone confirmed had been sent...can I find it anywhere on the netbook...don't be ridiculous!! I then went to the help section in my pc...but amazingly none of my issues appear to be addressed there...in fact for what seems to be a quite complicated OS there seems to be surprisingly little information in there at all. So here I am...ten years after first using a pc..someone who I thought was adept at this computer thing reduced to asking if anyone can, in simple terms explain:

How i install a media player that even approaches WMP for functionality that will actually play media in any of the popular formats and that won't require me to take an IT course to just install it.

A file viewer that will let me actually open and view a jpeg file.

Tell me where in the name of god installed files are kept and why I can't find them once they have been installed, and similarly why the computer doesn't alert me that a bluetoothed file has been received or tell me where the file is being kept.

Would it be really annoying of me to add that if it takes longer to install something as basic as a working media player than it does to re-format my hard drive and install a version of windows I have a sneaky feeling which one of those options I wilkl be taking. Cheers in advance for any help you can give
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 07:55 AM