Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Good distro to use for server?
Locust
post Mar 10 2009, 04:54 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,105

Hi,

I'm new here, and I wanted to know what the best (or better) Linux distro is for use in a corporate environment as a network monitoring server.

I've installed and configured a Linux-based Nagios server on a virtual machine (host is running VMWare ESX) using the OpenSuse 11 distro. Everything works just fine at this point, but I have the feeling that as I build the system up, I may run into performance problems due to the fact that the distro used has all the bells and whistles (GUI and all that junk).

I'm admittedly a Linux noob, and configuring everything via GUI was simple enough, but now that I've gotten everything running and am getting a little more comfortable with the command line interface, I'd like to see if I can do away with the resource-hogging GUI altogether.

I was thinking about creating a second virtual machine as a test running a barebones Linux installation, and I wanted to get some info as to some of the better, more reliable and best performing distros out there. I'm about to download and try out Debian, but if anyone else can throw me some tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 08:10 AM