Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Losing File Permissions
giller
post May 13 2003, 10:48 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 833

Hey,

I'm trying to change permissions on a users home directory, but linux (Mandrake 9.0) keeps resetting the permissions after a certain period of time (eg. 1/2 hour or so).
This is how I'm changing the file permissions (as root):
CODE
chmod 755 [users name goes here]

I'm using this machine as a firewall to my local network, and I need to change the directory permissions to allow apache access to the users public_html folder. During installation I set the OS to the high security level, so I'm not sure if this is causing the problems.

If someone has experience a similar problem or has any suggestions for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advanced,
--Erik
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
giller
post May 15 2003, 10:46 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 833

I managed to track down the problem, so I might aswell inform those that may be curious.

After a little debugging, I determined:
- The permissions were resetting every hour on the hour
- I didn't have the same problem on other distributions (the only difference in installation is the security level)

Once I figured out the above, it didn't take long for me to find the program Drakperm (distributed with Mandrake) and make the corrections to its settings.

--Erik
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 12:34 PM