Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Debian "Enter run level"
PQC
post Jan 20 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,864

I have a file server that runs Linux Debian. This server holds the files for 3 PC's in a Windows XP work group. Recently the company closed and I'm in the process of trying to get the files off the server. The problem is the server rebooted itself the other night and is stuck on a "Enter Runlevel" request. It also keeps rebooting itself at random usually every 4 to 6 hours. I'm not a Linux person AT ALL. We had a former IT guy that really loved it and he built our file server using Debian GNU 3.1. The thing has been great, has never went down and was always reliable until now. After reading a bit about the "enter runlevel" request I have entered everything 0 thru 6 and keep getting the same response "No more processes left in this run level". Then the system freezes after it gives me the response and I have to manually reboot the machine. I have opened the case and reseated all cards and RAM.
As I said I'm a Linux Ignoramus so please keep that in mind when helping me. Thanks in advance for your help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
PQC
post Jan 20 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,864

michaelk, I'm a novice at Linux. What do you mean Live CD? I have the Debian Install CD however when I ran it I stopped when it wanted to format the drive. I think I could run a shell but I'm not sure what the commands are. Thanks for your input!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 12:54 AM