Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Placing a backup command in the shutdown process
rob07mxa
post Dec 13 2008, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,798

Hi,

I wrote a script file (based on rsync) to backup data into a usb memory stick. I intend for the backup to occur during shutdown of the system -part of it- , The computer is for home use and switched on daily for different lengths of time. The OS is Fedora 8.

Using cron is not suitable because the machine is not switched on 24/7.

With anacron I couldn't find a way to time the execution of the script just before shutdown when most of changes to the data have happened. in other words, I do not want the backup to happen after (m) minutes delay since switching on of the computer.

The intention is to make the back up part of the normal process of Fedora 8 shutdown i.e. like modified shutdown process.

Therefore, the goal is to insert the command ($ bash backup_script) in one of the files that get executed during system shutdown, so when the user click on switch off button and the process of shutdown begins, the backup command get executed at probably the start of shutdown and when it finishes, the shutdown process carry on as usual.

The question is in which file i should put the command ($ bash backup_script)?

Thanks in anticipation

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 03:50 PM