Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Linux Server - Can't get FTP site to work - IP Address Issue?
SSP
post Dec 10 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,793

Okay, I don't know really anything about Linux but my old tech person, who I can't seem to find, set us up with Linux on our server. I have a FTP site that I was told is ran by Apache on our server. I have an account at DNSExit for the address 123ssp.com. My customers started complaining that they can't get to my FTP site. I also can't connect remotely to my PC at work now. In the past this has been an issue with an IP address changing according to my old tech. I have some notes to see if the Apache service is running and it is. I am presuming it is again an IP address issue but I don't know where to start. I checked my IP address on the server and it starts with a 192 number. The IP address in my DNSExit account shows a completely different number starting with a 67. I know this is due to the fact that I have a Linksys router but have no idea how to find the actual IP address [not the router 192 number] on the server. Does this sound like something someone can help direct me in a quick fashion?

Thank you for your help
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
SSP
post Dec 11 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,793

I GOT IT! It was simple after all. I don't know about connecting from home yet, but I do know that my customers can now get to the FTP site log in screen and do their uploads. This was an issue where the router IP address changed.

Here is exactly what fixed the issue:
Go to web browser and get to router
Go to the "Applications & Gaming" - "Port Range Forwarding" section. Make sure ALL items have a checkmark under "Enabled". Save changes.
Go to the "Status" "Router" section. Write down the new Internet IP Address. [or you could get on the server and go to www.whatismyip.com to get the new IP address]
Go to www.DNSexit.com
Go to the "My Account" at the top of the page and log in
Find the "Domain List" section and click on "Edit DNS"
Under the "Host Records" click on "edit"
Type in new IP Address that from the router Internet IP Address. Click on "Update Host" button. Click on "Save" at the top.

Done!

Thank you for helping me find my way Michael.

Patti
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:31 AM