Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help! Access Striped Raid on Dell Precision 670 workstation, stupid windows...
oneplustwo
post Aug 7 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,600

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm a total linux noob. But can I access a striped RAID loading linux from a CD and then copy files over to a USB hard drive? Here are my specs:

Dell Precision 670 Workstation
(2) 250GB drives in a striped RAID configured via the Adaptec RAID controller on the motherboard
1 GB RAM
DVD ROM drive
Windows XP Home edition

The reason I'm trying to do this is to get the files off the RAID since the person who actually owns the computer deleted some files that is causing me not to be able to use Windows. I don't know exactly what he deleted, but it's not really relevant except for the fact that I haven't been able to get past the windows logo screen.

When I try to load linux (I've tried Ubuntu, DSL, Feather), I can't get it to recognize the RAID. I know the RAID is still good because when I try to "repair" Windows, I can get a C:\ prompt and see the contents. However, in that scenario, I can't see any USB drives so I can't transfer the files over.

I don't know if there's an easy fix or if there's a driver I need to get in the linux install package prior to burning on CD? Again, total Linux Noob so appreciate your patience. Thanks for your help!

-Jason
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 03:02 AM