Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> MSI Motherboard Help
kronflux
post Jul 23 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,572

I'm very new to the idea of installing linux, I've been using windows all my life, but a lot of the time I'll boot up a livecd here and there.
normally, they run with no problems, and all hardware is fully supported, but this new motherboard I have, the MSI K9N6SGM-V, linux doesn't seem to like very much.
I have display problems(no resolution options except ones that make everything huge, flickering, etc) a couple livecd's don't support my networking, some don't see my SATA drive, etc. and I've been considering the option to install linux on a computer for permanent use, because for some odd reason, windows hates me having 2 gigs of RAM, but linux doesn't argue with it.
I've always liked linux more, I've just been too lazy to switch to it.
so what I'd like some help with is installing a distribution and fixing it with the proper drivers and such. my USB drive seems to be running slower too. maybe linux doesn't realize that my usb 2.0 port is 2.0 and not 1.0?
heres the specs:
MSI K9N6SGM-V Motherboard
NVIDIA MCP61
GeForce 6100
nForce 405
AMD Sempron 3600+

I think I'd like to go with Ubuntu. but I don't know where to start.
I heard something about forcedeth and such.. but I really don't know anything about that.
can anyone help me out?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
kronflux
post Sep 7 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,572

long time bump? still interested in the idea, but havent gotten any useful info anywhere else.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 07:36 PM