Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> ATI Radeon X1950 not working well with Linux 2.6.18.8.tex5
Aceraf
post Jul 13 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,556

Hi,

I posted this in the 'Technical Support' section first, however it's probably more appropriate here.

I've installed Linux Release 2.6.18.8.tex5 on my pc and I'm having problems with the graphics. Linux does recognise that it's a ATI Radeon, but only give me the following options:-

ATI Radeon (vesa)
ATI Radeon (fbdev)
ATI Radeon(fglrx)
ATI Radeon 8500

With a monitor set as
Generic 1280x1024@76Hz

However what I find is that the display doesn't refresh quickly enough....for example when I'm browsing online and scroll down a page it will flash as it's going down the page (as though it's in slow motion). Although it's showing as 76Hz I think with the refresh rate as it is, it's probably more like 60Hz.

I've tried downloading the correct driver and installing that, but have had no luck.

As I've only been using Linux since yesterday I'm not sure how to resolve this yet. I have tried lowering the resolution, but the refresh rate still seems slow and jerky.

Strangely however if I watch a video clip online it's fine, however if I watch a video clip from the hard-drive and then maximise it, then it become jerky again.

I have a 19" TFT monitor (can't see a brand name on it) and on Windows I used the resolution 1280x1024 and that's what I'd like to use on this.

If anyone can help me with this it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ace.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 11:44 PM