Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Newbie with no internet in linux!!, Can't install my Marvell network card
dukesc
post Jul 12 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,555

Hi,
someone gave me a book with fedora core 1 disks. I thought now that i have a drive caddy I'd use one of my old 80gb drives to install it. I've gotten it all installed and can even get the machine to happily boot between XP and Fedora without any bother. But having linux is no fun if I can't get on the internet and download all the good stuff. Here's where the problem comes in. I've got an on board Marvell chip. I've got linux drivers for it on the CD. I've even managed to unpack them to a folder on my desktop. However, when as root, i try to install them i get a message saying that the gcc version and the kernel version don't match. I'm offered several options from using the 'export' command to overide a system variable which checks the versions??? or to compile the source??? To be honest at this point I'm totally clueless. It pointed me to /usr/src/linux but I don't have that directory. Mine is /usr/src/redhat, which contains four empty folders. Anyways I obviously need a lot of help. Apologies if I'm missing the obvious or being a PITA. smile.gif

If it wasn't the internet I was missing I could live with it until I worked my way through the book, but there is so much help out there not to be able to access it from within Linux.

Hoping someone takes pity!

dukesc
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 08:49 PM