Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Slow DNS lookup (no IPv6-issue???)
Mastov
post Jul 6 2008, 05:32 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,544

Hi,

my dns lookups take several (~ 6-10) seconds every time. I tried a lot of things, but now I ran out of ideas. What I tried up to now is:

- Deactivate IPv6: The most common advice about slow dns lookups didn't work in my case. IPv6 is already successfully deactivated (at least "lsmod | grep ipv6" claims that), but the problem continues. Also deactivation IPv6-lookups for certain programs (like firefox or ssh) doesn't help.
- Use other nameservers: Changing the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf to other ones didn't change anything as well. Besides, the original nameservers are working well on other systems!
- Adding "option timeout:1" to or removing "domain ..." or "search ..." lines from the /etc/resolv.conf file: Also didn't help...

Any further ideas?

Thanks!
Chris

PS: Distro "Debian Lenny Amd64" out of the box, only ndiswrapper installed and WLAN configured
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Mastov
post Jul 8 2008, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,544

I think I resolved the issue:

I analyzed the DNS queries of windows (working without problems on the same machine) and found out that the same effect is happening there as well: 3 query packets have to be sent until a response is received. The difference: Windows sends the queries with a much higher frequency and therefore the whole progress doesn't take as much time and the user doesn't recognize any delay.

So the problem seemed to be rather the router than the client system. Maybe the router recognizes an UDP "connection" only after at least 3 packets have been sent from the same port to the same port (as using UDP the router has no TCP flags signalling new connections). I don't know, something like this...

Workaround (since I haven't got access to reconfigure the router): Define the router IP itself as nameserver instead of the nameservers that it suggests via DHCP. So the UDP packets have to travel only within the LAN and the problem is avoided. The router is then able to act as a "DNS-forwarder", asks the nameservers of the ISP for the result and returns the result to the client.

Anyway: Hard to imagine that this effect doesn't happen all over the linux world?! What is different in other people's linux systems? Do they usually have shorter timeouts? Is the configuration of my router really THAT strange and normally routers forward the DNS packets properly? Do they ignore the DHCP-given nameservers and use the gateway-IP as default nameserver??? I didn't reconfigure anything strangely, the system is an almost-out-of-the-box debian!

Thanks for your help!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 10:10 AM